PDA

View Full Version : 1994 rotated reverse 165 degrees ccw

car10
12-20-2007, 03:30 AM
Found in circulation last year. The environmental damage is a shame. It knocks the net grade down about five points. Still a very interesting mint error. A perfect mate to the 165 degree clockwise coin I found recently.

Shingpumps
12-20-2007, 09:19 AM
That makes me so mad when an error coin i find is damaged. When i'm going through a roll and see a damaged coin, I sorta hope it's not a coin of any value.

Shingpumps
12-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Still a very nice find.

Brad
12-20-2007, 03:20 PM
This is something that I never look for. I should start. I just figured that modern cents would never have that problem.

car10
12-20-2007, 03:52 PM
This is something that I never look for. I should start. I just figured that modern cents would never have that problem.

I check each coin for rotation but aside from a single 1911-D the only other date I've found is 1994. I've found five of the 1994's each of which were rotated between 165 clockwise and 165 degrees counter-clockwise with one being almost exactly 180 degrees. The 1911-D is only about 30 degrees. There must have been a loose die at one time in 1994 that struck multiple coins with the die bouncing around and turning from side to side as each coin was struck resulting in varying amounts of rotation.

Brad
12-20-2007, 04:37 PM
So, 1994 is the coin to check... Now I have to add that coin to my mental list.

Pat
12-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Are those rotated reverses worth anything? I don't have any cents, but I do have about 10 mercury dimes with rotated reverses.. I don't know if that is common but I only have 10 out of a few hundred I have..

car10
12-20-2007, 07:35 PM
Are those rotated reverses worth anything? I don't have any cents, but I do have about 10 mercury dimes with rotated reverses.. I don't know if that is common but I only have 10 out of a few hundred I have..
To be "collectable" they need to be rotated at least 15 degrees. Less than 15 degrees is considered acceptable margin of error. As the degree of rotaion increases from 15 to 180 degrees the desireablity increases. Condition and rarity of course, would also be of importance when considering value. Environmental damage never helps. Although the majority of the rotated dies I have found have been from 1994, that is not the only year they could be found from. This site: http://www.rotateddies.com/ has a census and a lot of great information on rotated die coins known to date. I first started looking for the error when I read an article a couple years ago in Numismatic News by Billy Crawford about the coin he found. Thanks for all the interest in my coin.

Brad
12-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Depends how much their rotated. 180 degrees is the best. Less than 90 degrees is usually not worth much. Some coins, like shield nickels, are notorious for rotation, thus are not worth much.

Pat
12-20-2007, 07:40 PM
To be "collectable" they need to be rotated at least 15 degrees. Less than 15 degrees is considered acceptable margin of error. As the degree of rotaion increases from 15 to 180 degrees the desireablity increases. Condition and rarity of course, would also be of importance when considering value. Environmental damage never helps. Although the majority of the rotated dies I have found have been from 1994, that is not the only year they could be found from. This site: http://www.rotateddies.com/ has a census and a lot of great information on rotated die coins known to date. I first started looking for the error when I read an article a couple years ago in Numismatic News by Billy Crawford about the coin he found. Thanks for all the interest in my coin.

Hey that's a great site link.. Thanks...

car10
12-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Hey that's a great site link.. Thanks...
Glad I could be of help. :angel:

Pat
12-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Glad I could be of help. :angel:

I added it to the resources drop down list..:)

Shingpumps
12-20-2007, 07:58 PM
That is a great site. Thanks from me also

car10
02-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Last night I found another one of these. Unfortunately, again, it has environmental damage. Actually, that description is too nice for this one. This one has to be described as having a corrosion problem. I placed it on ebay with a .99 cent start and within six minutes there was already a bid on it. The person that placed the bid is the same person that bought the same type of error from me last January for $66. I wouldn't think this one will go that high with the corrosion problem.

AgCollector
02-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Well car10 after reading this thread I decided to do a little looking for myself. Easy to add in since I'm already looking for 1994 DDRs. Tonight found this fellow. Full reverse picture is my attempt at doing the normal flip-over to give an idea of rotation. The mirror shot also shows the rotation though not the full reverse.

car10
02-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Congratulations John. That one is in great shape and almost perfect medal turn.

Brad
02-18-2008, 07:02 PM
I love the mirror shot...great idea

snowman
02-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah. that is a cool way to show the reverse with a mirror

Shingpumps
02-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Well car10 after reading this thread I decided to do a little looking for myself. Easy to add in since I'm already looking for 1994 DDRs. Tonight found this fellow. Full reverse picture is my attempt at doing the normal flip-over to give an idea of rotation. The mirror shot also shows the rotation though not the full reverse.
Great find/Great find

AgCollector
02-19-2008, 03:27 AM
Thanks all! I can't remember where I saw someone else use a mirror to show front and back of a coin at the same time, maybe eBay?

In looking a little more exactly, this one seems to have a 165 degree rotation, which sounds just like yours, car10- likely made at almost the same time, I guess.

car10
02-19-2008, 04:04 AM
Makes your head spin a little when you first turn it over, didn't it?

AgCollector
02-19-2008, 04:49 AM
Makes your head spin a little when you first turn it over, didn't it?

Yeah, I think I had to flip it over 3 or 4 times before it made sense and I figured out what it was.

Yachtsman
02-24-2008, 07:22 PM
I was not looking for a rotational error, but was looking through an old can of Lincoln Cents that I had been accumulating for a good number of years. I started coin collecting 40 years ago, but because of life in general, military, collage, career, marriage, etc, it had been an on again, off again hobby. My general tendency of inspecting a coin was to simply view observe and then flip head over tail to view the reverse in its' proper upright orientation. When I did this to a 1994 P Lincoln Cent, I was looking at it in an upside-down orientation with a rather dumbfounded gaze. For a moment, I thought that I may have flipped it improperly, so I flipped it back, and the obverse was right side up. It was then that I realized that I had found a rotational error. A photo of the coin is enclosed. Ever since that find I keep a conscious eye out for this type of error, but have not found any others. This coin is still raw, but I will eventually get it graded.
Best Regards,
Yachtsman
http://www.portnorfolkyachtclub.com/1994_Rotational_Error.jpg

car10
02-24-2008, 07:55 PM
They're out there. Nice find!

AgCollector
02-25-2008, 04:03 AM
Nice find!