PDA

View Full Version : Will's challenge

willbrooks
05-17-2012, 06:27 PM
I will be "on assignment" next week and very likely won't be on the MB at all. (Where is all of that cheering coming from?) Well, since I won't be around to annoy all of you, I figured I would go ahead and annoy you in my absence with a contest. This contest begins now and will end on Friday, May 25th, at 9pm. Please submit your answers via a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me. Please do NOT post your answers in the thread. I wouldn't want anyone stealing answers now. Also, this way everyone has the same chance and lots of time to make a submission. Please use the thread for sidebar discussion, scathing insults directed at me, and general assassination of my character, or just to bump the darn thing once in a while if needed. You just need to have your answers turned in by the contest end time. One submission please per person with no changes, so please be sure of your "final answers" before submitting. The winner will be the one with the most correct answers. I have a tie-breaker in mind, just in case. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is simply to name the year of each Lincoln cent pictured. Some are easy, some not so much. I learned lots putting this together and hope you enjoy the challenge. I believe no guessing should be necessary for the trained and knowledgeable eye. The first 8 will appear in this post and the second 8 photos will appear in the next post, so please don't reply until I get all 16 photos up. I will be around another day yet to address anything I likely screwed up, lol. Oh, and the winner gets his choice of a 1958 proof set, or if preferred, I will make a nice donation to LCR in your honor. Have at it.

willbrooks
05-17-2012, 06:29 PM

Fido_Finder
05-17-2012, 10:09 PM
In the immortal words of Sgt Shultz...

"I KNOW NOTHINK!"

Way to make me feel like a total noob Will!

Thanks for the contest though!

willbrooks
05-18-2012, 05:50 AM
So any early feedback on this? Too easy, too hard, just right, good idea, bad idea? Is it at least as good of an idea as the motorized office chair?

pman860507
05-18-2012, 06:10 AM
I think its good. Maybe I'm a noob about this but I will try and I'm sure I will learn a lot. Also i think so will be pretty hard.

Good looking contest

liveandievarieties
05-18-2012, 07:48 AM
I think it's very hard! lol. But heck- a 1958 proof set? That's not a cracker-jack prize, I'm game. Will chime in a little later.

You'll be missed Will! Seriously, you add a lot to this forum.

wapa
05-18-2012, 09:48 AM
In the immortal words of Sgt Schultz...

"I KNOW NOTHINK!"

Way to make me feel like a total noob Will!

Thanks for the contest though!

I agree with you Fido, this one aint for us low rep count newbies. :LOL_Hair: Hopefully Will will post the correct answers when he gets back. I do hope someone will get them all right. Good luck all and thanks for the contest Will. Have a safe and fun "assignment". I miss Sgt Schultz..... I wonder how many folks remember who he was and how many have no idea what you are talking about.

flyhi3
05-18-2012, 11:48 AM
"Some are easy, some not so much. "

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......... :tongue:.... All of mine will be guesses:LOL_Hair: but, Heck, for a 1958 proof set, I will guess all day!!!

willbrooks
05-18-2012, 12:54 PM
LMAO. I posted a pic of him just recently in another post. He is the best.

http://i.qkme.me/1epg.jpg

willbrooks
05-18-2012, 01:48 PM
this one aint for us low rep count newbies.

Mmmmeh, rep count is irrelevant. You guys have more of that than I do anyway, not to mention knowledge and experience. I am quite the noob myself. Like I said, I learned tons of stuff in the creation of this and my hope was that this would be as fun and educational for others as it was for me, yet still challenging for our mentors also who have taught us so much. It is an opportunity to study some things, and gives you something to do while you are knocking one back at bedtime, or dropping a deuce in the morning. Yinz got all week to mess around with it. I will admit something. I was a school teacher for some years, and I took it as a personal failure if anyone ever got a perfect score on one of my tests. *insert evil grin here* In my mind, some of these are easy, some hard, (I will be mad if anyone gets #15) and some I would say are not hard but definitely tricky. I may have a devious mind according to some accounts, lol. Hope it turns out to be fun. It is a 'thank you' for all you guys taught me, your camaraderie, generosity, and humor which has meant much to me these last few months. Can't wait until I get back and see what's in my inbox. If nothing else I sure had fun with it. Cheers everyone and best wishes!
Will

wapa
05-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Hey Will the rep reference was seemingly a guideline for those who could participate and who couldn't on some recent contests. Generally the newer folks had fewer reps and the hardness of the contest seemed to based on reps numbers. Since this contest is for all I shouldn't have made a reference to rep power. Sorry about that. It was just my point that this one is just too tough for me and I think that is what fido was saying as well though I cannot speak for him. Not a problem. It is obvious to me that your knowledge is far superior to mine when it comes to coins no matter what your rep power is. lol (I just babble more) I have a hard enough time attributing coins I have in hand - knowing the date - let alone a picture of a small piece of a coin to even give it a thought to try. I am sure that some of these guys that have years of experience are going to have a kick doing this one. I would rather spend my time looking at my coins then spending the hours it would take me to find the easiest one you have listed. I wouldn't even know where to start. Have a nice trip.

liveandievarieties
05-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Don't feel bad Paul, I guarantee you I'll get more than half of them wrong, probably 75%. It's one thing to take images of a coin you have in hand and ask others to guess what year, a whole nother to try to accurately guess. Not saying anything anything bad Will, just is the toughtest quiz/contest I've ever seen on here. Lol.

willbrooks
05-18-2012, 04:26 PM
I gotcha. I just want to say that if I hadn't created this myself, and someone else had posted it, I would feel EXACTLY the same way you do, and I mean that. A little psychology (Why did he choose this pic?) would go a long way to help direct you to a reference. On the other hand, I don't blame you whatsoever for wanting to search coins instead though. It's our favorite pasttime afterall! Best wishes. Have a great week yourself and looking forward to everyone's responses.

liveandievarieties
05-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Man, it's good having you around Will.

willbrooks
05-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Not saying anything anything bad Will, just is the toughtest quiz/contest I've ever seen on here. Lol.

Exxxxxxxxxcellent!

http://www.adrants.com/images/mr_burns.png

pman860507
05-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Will this is impossible!!!

cimperialis
05-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Way to raise the bar here, Will. It may seem impossible, but he'll have to pick whoever gets the most correct.

liveandievarieties
05-20-2012, 12:34 PM
IF anyone rises to the challenge...

willbrooks
05-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Hi everyone! Don't know if I will get this post in or not. I found a very weak and very slow, and very intermittent wifi signal I am trying to hijack, lol. First off, happy birthday Simon! Hope everyone is having a good week and I wish I could view all the new posts, but it took me quite some time to just get here, so.... As far as the contest goes, I hope you are having fun with the challenge. Just think of it like being in college, a 50% on a math or physics test is a good score, lol. I know some of them are tough. I did that on purpose. But I would say 5 of them are pretty easily knowable right away if you spot the right thing. Logical thinking may help somewhat. Anyway, hope everyone is enjoying my absence. :-) Best wishes to all. Be back Friday late if all goes well. Cheers!
Will

simonm
05-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Aww hey thanks Will, we all miss you at the forum. Please come back soon!

willbrooks
05-22-2012, 03:25 PM
So far nobody has gotten all of them correct.

This statement is logically equivalent to "So far, somebody has gotten at least one correct."

...and yet their connotations seem so different.

Keep on keeping on. Hope everyone is right as the mail... whatever the hell that means.

pman860507
05-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Still need to finish mine. Let see if I get some time tomorrow. I don't except to get more then one right.

willbrooks
05-25-2012, 05:18 AM
Just a reminder that this is the last day for this challenge. Please have your answers in by 9pm today if you are participating. Just a few correct answers would put you in the lead at this point, so don't give up! It's not over! "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearly Harbor? No!, and it's not over now!" (Apologies if you don't get that reference) I just know someone will be up to this challenge. Best wishes and good luck. (even though no luck is needed, lol)
Will

coop
05-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Just a reminder that this is the last day for this challenge. Please have your answers in by 9pm today if you are participating. Just a few correct answers would put you in the lead at this point, so don't give up! It's not over! "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearly Harbor? No!, and it's not over now!" (Apologies if you don't get that reference) I just know someone will be up to this challenge. Best wishes and good luck. (even though no luck is needed, lol)
Will

Was that from the movie: 1941? John Bellushi? (I know I misspelled it, the brain is trying to wake up. LOL)

willbrooks
05-25-2012, 12:06 PM
John Belushi is correct! Glad to see a correct answer, lol.

Movie was "Animal House." This is possibly the greatest poster ever:
http://nationallampoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/john-belushi-bluto-animal-house.jpg

coop
05-25-2012, 01:16 PM
I've seen parts of it, but not all of it. I guess I missed that. The 1941 Movie was pretty funny though.

coppercoins
05-25-2012, 03:03 PM
I would certainly like to see an explanation for how it would be possible to score 100% using the images provided. There are a few for which I had no reasonable clue which one of a selection of dates I was to choose. I am certain on at least a half dozen of them, though.

Only thing is, I have no clue how to send a private message, so I suppose I am out.

pman860507
05-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Only thing is, I have no clue how to send a private message, so I suppose I am out.

The image i provided shows it. I hope this helps.

coppercoins
05-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks. I tried that with someone else here and the menu didn't show...and there was no button for it - so I gave up. I found it this time.

I'm pretty sure I got about 10 of the 16. There are a couple of curve balls, and a couple I had no clue at all how they could be determined as one year types.

pman860507
05-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks. I tried that with someone else here and the menu didn't show...and there was no button for it - so I gave up. I found it this time.

I'm pretty sure I got about 10 of the 16. There are a couple of curve balls, and a couple I had no clue at all how they could be determined as one year types.

Dont quote me on this but i believe if the member has private messaging off then it will not show up. GL on the contest im sure if you got 10 right you will win.

willbrooks
05-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Chuck is the winner with 12 correct. PM sent. Thanks everybody for all you have taught me so far.
Let the lambasting begin! *hides face*

coppercoins
05-25-2012, 07:30 PM
I actually got something out of this thread, which admittedly isn't all that easy to do. I missed the boat on both of the pics of the same 1934 coin because I actually didn't know about the two areas you pointed out in the motto. That in itself should reward you with a prize - not that I cannot learn, and not that I already know everything - but I just don't learn something completely new about Lincoln cents often.

The 1911...hmm...questionable. I'm really not sure on that one, but you bet I'll be looking into it. I would like to know the source on that information. It's definitely something else I have never heard of and obviously missed because I didn't know.

I missed the 1963-D mintmark and - well - simply put...shouldn't have. I knew that one, but for some reason without the date it looked almost like an early 50s mintmark. Shame on me.

So my hat's off to you for coming up with something that was a true challenge to me. I am ALWAYS in the mix for learning something new from anyone about Lincoln Cents, and this thread truly taught me.

Thank you so much!

Okay, that's my acceptance speech....