PDA

View Full Version : Error Other | 1964 doubled U in TRUST (Die Dent)

JonMN34
03-02-2009, 11:45 PM
I found 4 of these guys in a roll I recently purchased, but can not find a match.
I figure with as strong a doubling that this would have been found already.
Any ideas?

trails
03-03-2009, 05:26 AM
More than likely, this is a die dent that appears to be a doubled U.

BJ Neff

1sgret
03-03-2009, 06:19 AM
I agree or die deterioration as this was a bad year for over use of the dies prior to changing them out.

RWBILLER
03-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Yes- I believe BJ is correct.
Roger

JonMN34
03-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Thank you for the input. Is there any way to distinguish a dent from a double.
The reason I ask is because of the size, shape and placement. Most of the other 1964 Doubles are doubled in only a local area, specifically the underside of the L in Liberty.
Thanks again
Jon

CCC
03-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Someone will correct me if I am wrong. There are also Hub doubling during this period. If I am correct Jon, the double L in Liberty is due to the Hub doubling.

trails
03-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Hmmmm, okay. A doubled die is referred to also as hub doubling, so the terms are interchangeable. I think what we are looking for is working hub doubling, which is similar to working die doubling (or a doubled die), except it was made when the design was transferred from the master die to the working hub. The last type of die doubling is the master die doubling which occurs when the design is transferred from the master hub to the master die.

There is one other type of doubling and that is the reduction lathe doubling which occurs when the design is transferred from the galvano to the master hub. All these are similar and will give you some form of doubling on a design element or elements.

As to the bar L (the bar under the L of LIBERTY) that is from a particular type of doubled die. This occurs when the hub is tilted in respect to the working die and you see just a small portion design transfer; this is the Class VIII (8) type of doubled die. While it is theoretically possible to see this type doubled die on any of the peripheral design elements it is highly unlikely in this case; you would see more doubling of the surrounding design components than just the left arm of the U.

BJ Neff

JonMN34
03-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Thanks BJ.

coppercoins
03-13-2009, 06:38 AM
And to answer the question of the originator of the thread, the reason this cannot be a doubled die is that everything in the design of a coin is squeezed onto the die at one time, in stages of strength...so if this were a doubled die, the doubling would have to be on more than one letter in TRUST. They are too close together for doubling to affect one and not affect all the others.