PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Pennsyltucky

rlarick
12-16-2009, 08:41 AM
No dig intended towards Kentucky! :LOL_Hair: I am in the corner of Pennsylvania, where Delaware and Maryland meet. On the edge of Amish country, an hour from Philly or Baltimore, 2 hours from the mountains and the beach! Other previous obsessive compulsive hobbies: I am/was an avid expert skier and Trophy hoarding competitive surf fisherman

I collected coins and stamps as a kid. then, my great grand mother left me her hoarded wheat pennies in the Mid 70's. Semi-Periodically over the last 35 years - I would organize, add and upgrade from the local hobby shops and from relatives and friends. The last time I got back into it was during the early 90's after a flood made a mess and coincidentally when my 2 boys were being hatched ... Now, due to a lay-off, kids are grown.... I find myself having time to delve deeper into organizing the bazillion I have sitting around oxidizing. Over the last 6 weeks, I have learned more than the previous 35 years and... I have managed to spend way too much in bulk and individual buys!! :squigglemouth:

The internet has opened a whole new networking and information world. soooooo.... I am joining various groups, like this one.

note: If any of you have coin collecting stuff you want to get rid of, please drop me a line with info and a price. PLEASE be less expensive than I can find it new on the web. Money is tight and I shop hard! I'm just looking for your cast off yard sale stuff. I have the basics, just thinking I should/want to upgrade the tools.

The tools/supplies that I am looking for: (used or new)

Quality dual/triple loupes to 10-15x
Lighted table magnifier. I got my eyes on a large rectangular one.
Slabs - BCW is down to $160 for 500 (incs inserts) Albums that hold the slabs, What is the popuar/preferred slab size anyhow?
Coin tubes? not sure about those-

BU rolls... I have very few comparitively... uhhh.. sorry if I recently sniped some from ya:crossedlips: But yeah. Want to get rid of some old rolls?

Okay... now for the odd-ball request:

Roll paper Crimping machine or maybe just the head that makes the pre-criimped roll or detailed drawing/diagrams/schematics on how they work. I am a skilled machinist/carpenter by trade, residential builder by profession. I think I can build a machine. :nerd: - I rolled over 1200 rolls when I was a teenager. During the late 90's our basement was flooded during a storm and all the rolls were ruined. I soaked the muddy pennies in various oils from the wifes kitchen, rinsed well and packed them away into various manageable containers. They look pretty good, although they are a deeper brown than most I get online...... anyhow.. I need to do something, I am running out of space with all the various containers. I am not looking forward to hand rolling. My thought is to do a, next to professional job for long term storage.

Last unreasonable request:

Anyone got a svdb au for $100 :sign10:

Rob

1sgret
12-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Welcome to the Forum.

hasfam
12-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Nice intro. Good luck finding what you need. I've always wanted to surf fish. maybe someday. Finally, welcome to the forum. Glad you could join.
Rock

jcuve
12-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Welcome to the forum!

RWBILLER
12-16-2009, 03:24 PM
welcome to lcr
roger

car10
12-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Welcome Rob. Good luck.

JeanK
12-16-2009, 11:00 PM
You have a great background for giving this hobby a run for its money... Welcome to LCR! and I am looking forward to pictures of your coins.
Jean

Wheat Cents
12-24-2009, 06:33 AM
Welcome to the Forum.

And second JeanK's request would like to see 'em.