PDA

View Full Version : Rim lines?

DWK
03-24-2008, 01:24 PM
I never noticed anything like this before. Funny lines coming in along the rim, both sides all the way around.

Any ideas what caused it?

Wheat Cents
03-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Took a close look at a few later date BU Lincoln rolls 99, 02 , 04, 05 and 06 . Many exibit this feature in varying degrees. Looks like small metal flow lines. If so ... BJ gave a good tutorial on this here:

http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=732

trails
03-24-2008, 03:12 PM
The coin pictured was made with a die in the later stages of its life, more than likely a LDS. They radial lines are metal flow lines caused by erosion and are just one of the indicators used in determining die state.

BJ Neff

DWK
03-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks guys. Never too old to learn something new. I read the other thread before but didnt relate that to my coin.

Wheat Cents
03-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Membership in LC Forums is truly a "Resource" for Lincoln Cent collectors. CoinTalk , Coin Community and CONECA Forums deal with a wide rage of topics. Coppercoins Forum is pretty much LC specific, but it has indeed been nice to be able to exchange ideas and get advise from other knowledgeable notables like Trails.

DWK
03-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Membership in LC Forums is truly a "Resource" for Lincoln Cent collectors. CoinTalk , Coin Community and CONECA Forums deal with a wide rage of topics. Coppercoins Forum is pretty much LC specific, but it has indeed been nice to be able to exchange ideas and get advise from other knowledgeable notables like Trails.
DITTO from me