Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I originally had this variety listed as the 1949S-1DO-001 on coppercoins. However, when I was comparing the 3 of them I had, to see which one was a better specimen, I discovered the RPM, and made that one coppercoins die-002. This, after they had been in my collection for 15 years! Even I miss things folks.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Ther are actually quite a few in pennies and nickels both, Just have to look......
    The nice thing is they usually command a higher premium for the combo...

Rubenthelincolnguy
    Why I feel it looks like MDD and not double die??? I know there is a big difference between them, and I honestly love both types of doubling, but I constantly find MDD's and list them, and hate it when buyers start giving me comments like: "that is a machine double die, is not worth nothing" peronally I think MDD's are cool (bold ones) Nice coin! I just bought a micro to be able to inspect mint ,arks as close as possible, great job on the pictures too!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    One key feature to note about this being a doubled die and not machine doubling is that the doubled area does not remove the size of the design elements. For this doubled die, if you take away the doubled area, the date is a normal size. In the case of machine doubling on the date of a coin, however, removing the doubled area results in a smaller date size, an indication that it was not truly doubled.

5. Thanks Amadauss thanked for this post
    Moderator, Die & Variety Expert jcuve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest focusing on RTY, in particular the Y. MD is typically flatter and will cut into the device making it smaller; all of the doubled areas on DDO-001 are normal sized with the doubling making it larger.

Jason Cuvelier

MadDieClashes.com - ErrorVariety.com
    TrailDies.com - Error-ref.com - Port.Cuvelier.org
    CONECA

(images © Jason Cuvelier 2008-18)___________________

7. Thanks Amadauss thanked for this post
    Rubenthelincolnguy
    ooooooooooooooooh cpuld you guys take a look on my thread for the 1953 DDO or MDD??? I posted??? I could swear the motto GOD and some other letters show pretty much dobling like this, but other members here already told me is a MDD nnnot a DDO... I am confused, or mayve just tired

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubenthelincolnguy View Post
    Why I feel it looks like MDD and not double die??? I know there is a big difference between them, and I honestly love both types of doubling, but I constantly find MDD's and list them, and hate it when buyers start giving me comments like: "that is a machine double die, is not worth nothing" peronally I think MDD's are cool (bold ones) Nice coin! I just bought a micro to be able to inspect mint ,arks as close as possible, great job on the pictures too!!!
    Ruben,
    I will try to help you a little bit with your terminology. You seem to be combining terms for completely different things and it makes it impossible to know what you are asking or referring to at times. You seem to understand that there is a difference between a "doubled die" (note the term is 'doubled,' not 'double') and machine doubling. Machine doubling is NOT a "machine doubled die," rather merely an effect that happens during the strike. Machine doubling is generally denoted MD, not MDD. This can be confusing as people often use MDD to mean Master Die Doubling, which is another type of worthless doubling, but completely different than machine doubling. There are many good explanations on the various forms of doubling, and how to tell the difference, if you do an online search or buy a reference book. Best wishes.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

10. Thanks thecentcollector thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please no more questions in this thread unless it deals directly with the DDO shown.

Jason Cuvelier

CONECA

Registered User pennies4pennies's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This might be stupid Jason but on you first pictures of the MM. I see lines on top of the S that don't go with the south second S.( look at the center of the main S) Looks to me like another part of a MM, going more north. Could there be more to the MM that is not being seen.? Or am I just looking to hard.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pennies4pennies; 05-10-2012 at 04:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pennies4pennies View Post
    ...just looking to hard.
    I think that would be it. The first example is MDS and the newer example at the bottom is EDS and clearer.

Jason Cuvelier

CONECA

14. Thanks pennies4pennies thanked for this post