Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Photography; What To Do!

My spare time since I last posted has been spent categorizing my tens of thousands of Lincolns, and I can report that so far I've found every year represented from 1909 thru 2012 (with, of course,a few exceptions!)
    While spot-checking briefly, I have found what my fairly untrained eyes tell me are quite a few varieties,and maybe even an error or two.
    I need the the opinions of this forum; I also know that I must post clear, detailed pix of those possibles in order to get them.
    Therein lies my problem. I've been practicing & experimenting, and I believe I can overcome any lighting problems (I'm about to build a light box.)
    However, a basic obstacle might be my camera. I use a Canon PowerShot A530 5MGP with a 4X Optical Zoom, and just can't seem to get close enough without blurring. I've read the helpful threads re photography on this forum, and checked other sites on the how-to of macro-photography, and I know a lightbox & tripod/stand will help. BUT-will it help enough, or is the camera just incapable of doing what is needed?
    I may have thousands of Cents, but they're sure not Dollars! I'd rather spend my limited disposable cash on coin supplies rather than costly photo equipment. Is it possible?
    Help, Please!
    xanticrime

TPG & Market Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome xanticrime! There was a recent change in the forum and we now have an area (sub-forum) dedicated specifically to coin photography. There are a couple of members who are quite adept at the subject and I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.
    [B][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=2]Chris & Charity Welch- [COLOR=red]LIVEAN[/COLOR][COLOR=black]DIE[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]VARIETIES[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Purveyors of Modern Treasure [/FONT]

3. Thanks xanticrime thanked for this post
    copperlover
    You may wish to contact Ray Parkhurst on photography and supplies associated with it.

Lucien
    Last edited by copperlover; 03-12-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: spelling error

5. Thanks xanticrime thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    xanticrime...I'm not too familiar with the 530 but I did check out the specs and it looks like the macro mode should work pretty well. It can get as close as 5cm. You'll need a tripod or copy stand to keep it steady. You can get a fairly inexpensive small tripod to hold it since the camera is pretty light. One of those tiny flexible ones might work great. The fairly long working distance may be a benefit since you can get lighting in easier than the really close distance macro cameras out there. I suggest buying a small tripod, and if you have an IKEA near you pick up two Jansjo LED lights ($10 each). Put the lights at 10:00 and 2:00, as close to the camera as you can without the lens shadowing the coin, about 4 inches away from the coin. Set the camera on maximum zoom, then get in to around 5cm and see what you get with a Cent. Use delayed shutter release and make sure you don't bump anything while the camera is taking the pic. Post the pic or you can email it to me and I'll give you suggestions...Ray

PS here are some representative tripods that might work...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Tri...item41638a3ab7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Mini-Tripo...item41638a5e82

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivitar-VT-S...item2c63952cab

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray,
    Thanks much for the detailed advice. Now all I have to do is digest it all & follow through.
    xac.

Post Thanks / Like
    i always put a loupe under my camera for close ups.
    Casey Parman

Post Thanks / Like

AHA Moment!

Quote Originally Posted by pman860507 View Post
    i always put a loupe under my camera for close ups.
    pman, that's an idea that was floating around somewhere in my brain, but I forgot to ask about. Thanks for the answer before I even asked it!
    xac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can be tricky though I had to take a lot of picture judt to get one clear shot. Though I didn't have a tripod. ?
    Casey Parman