Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Paul

Photographing lincoln's

Okay guys, I have been a member since December. I have learned alot here from the experts in this field...but. I need to learn what you all use to photograph your coins. Especially the tight close up's. I tried using my nikon digital with the macro through a 9x loop but I cannot seem to get close enough to show detail. I also tried scanning but when you zoom in the picture pixilates (think that's a word). Anyway if you all can tell me your secrets I would really appreciate it

Thanks
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, I think maybe for starters it would be a good idea to search for some threads on here that talk about photography. My photo problems are still not all solved. There are still many members on here trying different solutions to their photo problems, and there have been many discussions, many with great advise. Don't worry, it does take time, and maybe someone else will chime in to better focus on your search or your answer.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    First - you need a camera that will take good close-ups by itself. Then, I don't know!
    Because I am still one #1. So in my case I need to find coins that have major errors or they are obvious vararities. Like a 1955p-1do-001!!!!
    Roger
    ""Time and Tide wait for no man"

TPG & Market Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use a simple Nikkon Coolpix for all of my eBay listings. They run $99 and at 12 MP or better for the most recent model, you can't go wrong- great images of the whole coin, for close ups you'll need to look into a microscope.
    [B][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=2]Chris & Charity Welch- [COLOR=red]LIVEAN[/COLOR][COLOR=black]DIE[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]VARIETIES[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Purveyors of Modern Treasure [/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris
    If you could buy any microscope - which would you buy, and secondly, what is the model off the one that most collectors use.
    Rog
    Roger

TPG & Market Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    It really depends on your needs, each collector has their own preferences. I use an Amscope with 20x 40x and 60x magnification. Costs around $175 including shipping.
    I'm a little peeved at the company though because both of their digital cameras that I have which come with scopes are obsolete if you're using Windows 7 on your computer. They don't have updated software and there's no other way to make them work, have to revert to Windows XP... but that's a whole different subject.
    [B][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=2]Chris & Charity Welch- [COLOR=red]LIVEAN[/COLOR][COLOR=black]DIE[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]VARIETIES[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Purveyors of Modern Treasure [/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like
    yes it is - i do have an old pc that i can put xp back on but ill look for a newer scope that handles win7.
    rog

ps: Chris Just thank you - i am glad that the current finds your are getting are part of that overall stuff we had talked about. BILLer, Rog
    Roger

Paul
    Thanks to you all for you reccomendations.

Paul

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just sold the Nikon Coolpix 14MP to a member on here. I use a DSLR with an AmScope.