Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    1sgret

1991-D Major Doubled Die Reverse (FS-801)

It has been a little more than a year since this variety was discovered by me in circulated rolls in November 2010. To date no other examples have surfaced and been verified to the best of my knowledge.

This variety was attributed by John Wexler as WDDR-001, Billy Crawford as CDDR-001 and also has been assigned a number to the Cherry Pickers Guide upon it new release as FS-01-1991D-801.

This Major Die Variety was also featured in the Die Variety News Issue #19, December 2010 (Billy Crawford) and written up in Coin World in the John Wexler Varieties Notebook Column in Jan 17, 2011.

I am sure there are some more to be found and so I decided to post the coin here in hopes that maybe one of the Forum members will keep looking and come across this variety.

Close up Photos and Overlays are credited to the Die Variety News (Billy Crawford).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1sgret; 11-02-2011 at 03:48 PM.

TPG & Market Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe- do you have a list of ALL the varieties you're the discoverer of? I've seen your name in print for quite some time, always something interesting. In fact, before we crossed paths on LCR, I felt as though I already knew you!
    [B][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=2]Chris & Charity Welch- [COLOR=red]LIVEAN[/COLOR][COLOR=black]DIE[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]VARIETIES[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Purveyors of Modern Treasure [/FONT]

3. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the post...Lucky Joe !

5. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    AW MAN!!!..I swear I thought that was a 93D that you found..I randomly check 91D..I bet I missed one..lolol..Ill have to remember that one..

I know I know, I should check them all..I just dont

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    1sgret
    Quote Originally Posted by liveandievarieties View Post
    Joe- do you have a list of ALL the varieties you're the discoverer of? I've seen your name in print for quite some time, always something interesting. In fact, before we crossed paths on LCR, I felt as though I already knew you!

No, I do not have a full list of what has been attributed as Discovery Pieces/First Reported etc... as I had some of them encapsulated as such and many that were not.

It would take me awhile to compile a list especially on the ones that are still raw as I have box after box of varieties that I would have to go through.

Thanks for the comments.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cmon JOE!!!...We know you have the collection of all collections but did you REALLY need to throw the "box after box" at us?...lolol

Post Thanks / Like
    A really great coin Joe. I knew about the extra columns part but i didn't know about the bottom part of the memorial on the left. That is awesome. I always look for this variety. It might turn out to be one of those 1996-D doubled dies. I think there is only one of those and I've been looking for it since 1997.
    Rock
    My LCR Photo Album of Graded Lincoln Cent Cherry Picker Varieties

11. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    copperlover
    Joe or Chris if you can find me BU rolls of 91D I 'd be happy to buy them and search as long as they are reasonably priced. I have been looking for this DDR since it was published but I can never come close but it's on my list as well as the 95 Double Die (the rare one).

Lucien

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    TPG & Market Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lucien- as opposed to asking die variety guys if they'll sell you their rolls, I think you're going to have better luck buying from roll dealers like Randy Wilson (RSCoins on eBay), John Wells who advertises in Numismatic News and Virgil Marshall. There are plenty of other guys who deal in rolls and don't search them because they're sellers of rolls, not cherrypickers.
    While I have sold you OBWs, and I absolutely guarantee their originality, variety searchers probably aren't your best source of rolls possibly containing varieties. I sell a lot of opened BU rolls, but will never claim that they're unsearched for major varieties.

Don't get me wrong- I'll happily sell you all '91-D rolls I have, but can tell you exactly what you'll find inside- 50 pretty BU Lincolns!
    [B][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=2]Chris & Charity Welch- [COLOR=red]LIVEAN[/COLOR][COLOR=black]DIE[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]VARIETIES[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Purveyors of Modern Treasure [/FONT]