Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome photo's Jason! I was lucky to catch George's initial posting of this coin and thought that he might have found an incomplete punch at the time. Unfortunately, I wasn't real confident in saying what I was looking at then. Now, thanks to you, I will recognize another one in an instant thanks to your photo tutorial. Too bad it may take me searching millions cents to have any hope of ever seeing one again.

Anyone what to speculate on a value for this coin? I initially thought around $200, but I'm thinking way more than that now.

Moderator, Die & Variety Expert jcuve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was told it was rare, but not coveted. Something like $65-100.

Jason Cuvelier

MadDieClashes.com - ErrorVariety.com
    TrailDies.com - Error-ref.com - Port.Cuvelier.org
    CONECA

(images © Jason Cuvelier 2008-18)___________________

3. Thanks Chugly thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Chugly (of course I am biased). At the same time, Jason is probaly right about the lack of interest in this type of error at this time.

Looking at it objectively, though, "very rare" and "$100" is an oxymoron that I can't get my mind around.

1-The coin is unique and has been sitting in a tube probably since the year of mintage. (The person I bought the lot from started collecting some 50 years past, quit about 10 years later, and put the collection in storage.) None other has surfaced, that we know of, in the interim.
    2- The error is severe. It is not just a barely visible line as it is with some others I have seen. There is probably no more than a mm keeping it from being perforated at its deepest crevice.
    3- I have not seen any Lincoln cent with this kind of error. ( I did not even know about it until Chugly pointed it out but I have been trying to gather information ever since.)
    4- The coin is in decent shape for its age.

All of that adds up to this coin going into the bank box not to see the light of day again until there is a market that appreciates it. (Maybe there never will be one.)
    Just my humble opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your disappointment George...but rare doesn't equate to demand...but nothing wrong with putting it back and hoping that changes one day .

Moderator, Die & Variety Expert jcuve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is line between errors that sell for over, let's say $200, and those that don't. Some of them seem like they should sell for higher. Recently I saw a decent weak strike sell for under $30 - a counterbrockage under $60 and a double struck rotated in collar for $100. All slabbed. All are naked eye obvious, rare errors. On the flip side, an actual die cap, a double denomination, a triple struck coin and a foldover strike will go way further than $200.

Maybe certain errors just need more exposure? Or we need to try and create more error collectors?

Jason Cuvelier

MadDieClashes.com - ErrorVariety.com
    TrailDies.com - Error-ref.com - Port.Cuvelier.org
    CONECA

(images © Jason Cuvelier 2008-18)___________________

TPG & Market Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Jason's assesment of value- errors are collected by type, not year. While it may be unique as a 1969-D, it's not unique as an error type. Nearly all errors are unique, simply because they're not created in a cookie-cutter fashion as die varieties are. In fact, that there are other examples of the same doubled die are what makes them "collectible".

While fun and demonstrative, I believe this coin would have a difficult time realizing over $100 in an auction.
    [B][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=2]Chris & Charity Welch- [COLOR=red]LIVEAN[/COLOR][COLOR=black]DIE[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]VARIETIES[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Purveyors of Modern Treasure [/FONT]