Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rules

Moderator, Die & Variety Expert jcuve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rules

1) Each week we start threads for four consecutive years.

The threads will stay up for ONE WEEK and then will close.
    2) No questionable submissions.

It is not an attribution section. In other words, don't post something unless you are positive with your attribution.
    3) The coin must either be yours, or a coin you photographed.

So, for example, if you submitted something to Bob Piazza, John Wexler, James Wiles etc, you can post those photos (assuming you have permission to do so). Alternatively, you can provide your own photos of your coin or one you shot.
    4) Try and post no more than TWO EXAMPLES of the same variety.

There will be cases where someone has a different die state or stage and then it is okay to go beyond two.
    5) Don't make the threads discussion heavy.

Let's try and keep it to image posts as much as possible.
    6) Only Lincoln cents.

7) Varieties only.

DDOs, RPMs, trails, small dates, OMMs etc.
    No ERRORS
    That means: NO machine doubling - NO die chips - NO die cracks - NO die wear - NO greasers - No lamination errors or MADs.
    9) Three pictures per variety MAX (unless members ask for more).

10) Don't submit a minor variety unless there is nothing but minor varieties for that year.

11) Alex (or a Moderator) will start the threads.

One thread per year.
    PM me if something does not make sense - you feel something should be amended - or if something does not seem equitable.
    Last edited by jcuve; 10-07-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Jason Cuvelier

MadDieClashes.com - ErrorVariety.com
    TrailDies.com - Error-ref.com - Port.Cuvelier.org
    CONECA

(images © Jason Cuvelier 2008-18)___________________

Post Thanks / Like
    October 7th 2012 - rules have been amended
    Last edited by jcuve; 10-07-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Jason Cuvelier

CONECA

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally think that as long as we keep the threads basically pictures only, with a bare minimum(if any) comments, then we should allow continued postings. Someone might find something after we've already moved on to another year, or might intend to post a variety, but for one reason or another can't keep up with the daily pace of the threads. Just my thoughts. I've enjoyed the threads.

4. Thanks seal006 thanked for this post
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally think we should do it the way we decided at first. One year per day. I also agree that once we have gone through all the years, then we can go back.
    I know some people are not on the forum every day, and may miss a date. However, we really do need to avoid having 9 or 10 different dates added to every day. I personally think it would be cluttered and we should really leave it to the end when we can think about putting all of these in its own place. At that time, we may end up with a sub forum so large in size that it may rival attribution sites!
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jallengomez View Post
    I personally think that as long as we keep the threads basically pictures only, with a bare minimum(if any) comments, then we should allow continued postings. Someone might find something after we've already moved on to another year, or might intend to post a variety, but for one reason or another can't keep up with the daily pace of the threads. Just my thoughts. I've enjoyed the threads.
    Completely agree. In the "real world" most of us have lives outside of our hobby. I would like to see more people contribute to these threads. I think the examples Jason has shown are awesome, but it is starting to look like Jason is the only one that has varieties to post. I would love to see what others have found or acquired, even if it is after the day for that particular year. I also agree that the comments should be kept very low. That is what the other areas of the site are for. This is more of an illustrated reference, that could benefit us all.
    "If Free Speech stops when someone gets offended, it is not really Free Speech."

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Jody. I was slow in getting started and missed the 1st 10 years. I think if someone finds, or acquires something new or was just gone for a while, they should be able to participate too. The threads should be mostly photos and not a lot of chit-chat. This is also great reference material to go back and review when needed.
    Rock
    My LCR Photo Album of Graded Lincoln Cent Cherry Picker Varieties

Post Thanks / Like
    If the variety by year section is done correctly, we could have a nice reference section. It would not substitute attribution/reference sites or books. It couldn't cover all the varieties, but could cover some and be helpful.

There are multiple concerns being brought up:

1. Threads don't have enough varieties. In some cases only I (Jcuve) have posted.

2. There is the potential that threads could get overloaded with varieties, to such a degree that it is like attribution files.

3. Some threads have no posts. We eventually have to go back and fill them in with something.

4. Having it run a year per day makes it hard for someone who misses a day.

I see the potential for:

1. Threads having more than 2 user posts of the same variety.

2. If the threads stay open, we are going to get attribution posts or question posts, like "is this a DDO?"

3. As we move into the '60s-'70s, the potential for jockeying to be the first to post a particular variety.

What we agree on:

1. That the chit-chat not be excessive. (Mods can delete unneeded posts if there is too much talking or bickering).

2. That the threads stay on topic and positive.

3. Threads have an array of examples.

4. We have fun.

Possible solutions:

1. Keep it as it is, one day per year (or maybe two days per year if that makes a difference).

2. Keep the threads open so members can go back and add in varieties. (At some point we will have to close them, be it 6 months or 1 day).

3. Creating threads by year once a day and leaving them open for one week.

4. Something else?

Jason Cuvelier

CONECA

Post Thanks / Like
    Very good stuff here. I want to address a few of the as I see it. My opinion only!

There are multiple concerns being brought up:

1. Threads don't have enough varieties. In some cases only I (Jcuve) have posted.
    This is not a bad thing. I just felt that the one day window was limiting number of people participating.

2. There is the potential that threads could get overloaded with varieties, to such a degree that it is like attribution files.
    Is this a bad thing? I think it would make LCR stand out even more over the other forums.

4. Having it run a year per day makes it hard for someone who misses a day.
    It does for me. I am not sure about others.

I see the potential for:

1. Threads having more than 2 user posts of the same variety.
    Make it to where only one example, the first one, exists. Or leave the one with better photos, after all this is reference material.

2. If the threads stay open, we are going to get attribution posts or question posts, like "is this a DDO?"
    Mods could move these type of post to the appropriate area of LCR.

3. As we move into the '60s-'70s, the potential for jockeying to be the first to post a particular variety.
    In the spirit of this particular section, we should be more focused on educating, not chest pounding.
    "If Free Speech stops when someone gets offended, it is not really Free Speech."

10. Thanks jallengomez thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suggestion.........1 year for 1 week. Sunday thru Saturday.
    Rock
    My LCR Photo Album of Graded Lincoln Cent Cherry Picker Varieties

12. Thanks N/A, onecent1909 thanked for this post
    copperlover
    1 year per week would allow sufficient time to review the images and make any necessary adjustments or additions/deletions.

Lucien