Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Thread: Coin Camera

Founder: Lincoln Cent Resource Brad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Coin Camera

I have been in serious need of a new camera. My wife purchased this for me:

http://www.samsung.com/us/photograph...EC-WB150FBPBUS

Is this a good camera for images of coins? I have not opened it yet, and I can still exhange it.

Opinions?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's hard to tell from the specs. It has a macro mode but the way they spec point and shoot cameras is "minimum focusing distance" rather than "maximum magnification. According to the specs, you can get within 5cm at widest setting for 4mm focal length. It might go 1:5 , but with a 8mm sensor that is nearly full screen with a Dollar, so it might be just fine. About all you can do is try it out...Ray

3. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't see any reference to macro shooting in the ad. I think you would want macro capabilities for close-up shots. Clearly, a DSLR with interchangeable lens capability and a macro lens would be best. Of coure, you can't get one at this price. Can't tell how close you can get with this one although it's a nice point and shoot for the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Either I don't know how to use this camera, or I need a better one.

Post Thanks / Like
    With my simple setup one of the most important features for me is the ability to use optical zoom while in macro mode. Most any budget camera that supports that will take "good enough" coin pictures. Zoom allows you to keep the camera a good distance from the coin so more light can get to the surface.

I will add, IMO, the most important part of taking good coin pictures is light. You need not only good light but you need to be able to move it around in three diminsions to get the optimal shot.
    VERDI-CARE™ ALL METAL CONSERVATION FLUID

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll work on it. I have 3 1909 VDB's and a 1909 that I want to take pictures of. Nice toned mint state examples.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    I'll work on it. I have 3 1909 VDB's and a 1909 that I want to take pictures of. Nice toned mint state examples.
    You are on the way to spending some money. You will not be satisfied until you get to where you are comfortable with your photos. I will be receiving a Vivitar Series 1, 90-180 flat field macro zoom for the D5100 Nikon I bought a few months back. All I can say is buy quality desirable stuff. You can allways get your money back if you buy right. With run-of-the-mill stuff, you will lose money every time. I see this as part of the adventure and journey. Can't wait to try out the new lens.

Moderator, Die & Variety Expert jcuve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a big camera store you could try out a few point and shoot digitals with? I would suggest just taking a coin and seeing which has an easy to use macro mode.

Jason Cuvelier

MadDieClashes.com - ErrorVariety.com
    TrailDies.com - Error-ref.com - Port.Cuvelier.org
    CONECA

(images © Jason Cuvelier 2008-18)___________________