Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1979

copperlover
    Quote Originally Posted by mustbebob View Post
    The couple of RPMs listed on coppercoins have been there for years Lucien.

Bob I should have said posted here rather than listed. Thanks for setting me straight.

Lucien

Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh...OK. That does make a difference. Thanks.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

jasjoh
    Quote Originally Posted by jcuve View Post
    THIS IS NOT AN RPM
    Curious, what definitively indicates this is a broken MM instead of a RPM?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jasjoh View Post
    Curious, what definitively indicates this is a broken MM instead of a RPM?
    I think it stems from the fact that this anomaly (broken lower serf on the punch), appears on at least 50% of all the dies used for that year. In other words, the mint mark with its broken lower serf looks exactly the same, but its position in relation to the date varies over a wide range of different positions from die to die. If it were an RPM, the position of the mint mark in relation to the date, would always be in the same position. I hope that makes some sense?

5. Thanks N/A, cranky thanked for this post
    jasjoh
    absolutely. thank you

iceman2013

Quote Originally Posted by jcuve View Post
    Being there are so few 1979 varieties (I only see one RPM listed, and no doubled dies), I figured I would post this NON-variety 1979-D with the BROKEN mintmark punch as it look so much like a tilted or rotated RPM. It gets everyone at least once. I am not certain when the punch broke, but most 1979-Ds show it.

Again: THIS IS NOT AN RPM

sorry to bother you, but this certain variety that your picture shows is actually a d over a rotated cw d, north. You will notice the almost horizontal position of the D under the final D, which gives the top D the puffiness towards the north.
    Let me know your opinion but I do have lots of varieties of 79 d, including triples and inverted, horizontals etc.
    thanks for the pic
    Last edited by jcuve; 02-09-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman2013 View Post
    sorry to bother you, but this certain variety that your picture shows is actually a d over a rotated cw d, north. You will notice the almost horizontal position of the D under the final D, which gives the top D the puffiness towards the north.
    Let me know your opinion but I do have lots of varieties of 79 d, including triples and inverted, horizontals etc.
    thanks for the pic
    That is a VERY WELL KNOWN damaged mint mark punch...

I typically find the same punch on at least a quarter of my 1979D I ever come across.
    Last edited by Scott99; 02-07-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    Matthew Sallee

9. Thanks simonm thanked for this post
    iceman2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eaxtellcoin View Post
    There are a few very minor RPM's for this date. Hear is the one I own..
    this one is actually a triple

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman2013 View Post
    this one is actually a triple
    To me it looks like a double done with the broken mint mark punch.(However, i'm not someone to say. I'm just giving my opinion on what I see in the picture.) I have to admit it does trick most people even myself when I first started... but jcuve along eaxtellcoin know a lot about die varieties. Not saying to just go by what they say but you can learn a lot from them if you're willing to read the information they provide and research it for yourself. You must be a student before you can be a teacher otherwise you'll suggest that eaxtellcoin's coin was a triple rpm and that the images jcuve posted was of an rpm.
    Matthew Sallee

iceman2013
    I was noticing the third d north west.
    I have one similar with a deeper outline instead of the "shadow style" imprint.
    my feeling on the broken die is that the third d covers the tracks of the top end of the second d of the "broken die"
    Like 1961 d, over 80% of the coins I have seen are rpm's of the same style.