Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SouthernBeauty2013
    Awesome! Thanks!

2. Thanks simonm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you much for that.... Made a few thing click for me...

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to expand on Simon's awesome thread here with a few more things that are often mistaken for hub doubling, but aren't. I have recently seen several threads involving these issues and thought this would be the perfect place to add this little tutorial. These are just a few of the many examples of these and I just selected some of the more commonly noted and asked-about examples. This is by no means a comprehensive list.

First I would like to talk about what I will call design anomalies. In other words, these are things sometimes confused for hub doubling, which are really just a part of the design spanning MORE THAN ONE master hub. For example:

1. The D of God had "doubled" vertical bar starting with the 1922 Master Hub and continuing until the mid 50s. I have seen this noted as part of the doubling on a doubled die, but really it is a normal part of the "design."

2. The W in We has a strong notch on the right arm and a lesser one on the left arm beginning in 1909 and continuing all the way to 1955. Again, I have seen this noted as hub doubling, but it is normal for this span of dates.

There are others, but these were the two that I see questioned the most.

Secondly, there are many master hub anomalies confined to individual master hubs. For example, from 1937 through 1942 (excepting 1938) the R in LIBERTY had a notch on the top left corner. This is normal for all dies spawned from this master hub and is NOT the result of a doubled working die.

Thirdly, there are engraving issues on master dies, which are often confused as hub doubling. (Reused master hubs had to have the last digit or two engraved into the master die.)

1. This engraving doubling is often misconstrued as a doubled die on 1960 small date cents.

2. All 1965 cents show this notch on the 5.

3. All 1973 cents show this notch on the 3.

4. 1941 cents on the 4

5. 1944 cents on the 44

6. 1940 cents on the 40

Next, let us look at an issue many now believe to be from work done to working hubs during the 30s, 40s, and early 50.
    A "trench" was added around the bust on many working hubs, perhaps in an effort to prolong the life of the working dies.
    This trench is often mistaken for hub doubling. It is common for this era. It looks like this.

Additionally, we all have the doubled master dies to keep us on our toes. Please see Jason's excellent tutorial on the 1972 doubled master die here. http://lincolncentresource.net/forum...ad.php?t=25424

An additional example is this doubled forehead, nose, and chin seen on 1946 cents.

I am not sure what caused 1957 cents to look like this on GOD WE, but this is how the letters look on all 1957 specimens including the proofs. Here is a proof example.

Despite my lousy pictures, I hope this tutorial will help those of you getting started in the hobby to avoid pitfalls and learn to identify true doubled dies. Good luck!
    Last edited by willbrooks; 10-04-2013 at 08:19 AM.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank was great! A real learning moment and something to refer to later!

Post Thanks / Like
    it isn't too long for such an amazing amount of information

Post Thanks / Like
    Stuck the thread--good information and examples. Thanks to all!

8. Thanks simonm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Will for the detailed photos. The spots you mention are seen frequently on wheat cents and it's good to let people know that what they are seeing is normal.

10. Thanks willbrooks, Arjohn thanked for this post
    jmills
    Hello
    Great pictures and information. Do you have a picture of a doubled ear? How do you get so close up and clear pictures?
    Thanks

jmills
    Found great examples in Variety Examples.

jmills
    Found what I needed in the camera thread.