Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Thread: Before / After

Threaded View

georoxx

Before / After

I'm sure to get chastised for this.

I've been fascinated with verdigris ever since I began collecting. I started experimenting with worthless LCs in an attempt to remove the crusty nuisance and ended up with a process that I believe to be harmless to copper cents. (Not to be tried on zincolns.) Anyway, I found this affected 1967 and here are my results.

The process: Soak coin in olive oil. (This will help to retain the coin's patina.) Wrap soaked coin in paper towel. Tape closed with cello (scotch) tape. Boil for 15 minutes. (Verdigris decomposes at about 440f, but will break down enough in boiling water... about 215f-ish... depending on where you are relative to sea level, believe it or not.) Remove from boiling water and immediately agitate affected area with a baby's soft toothbrush by gently swirling in very small, concentrated circles. (OK. Let me have it. LOL) Then, pat dry... and then air dry... and then, apply verdi-care.

Now, you don't really have to go to great lengths to educate me as to how frowned upon coin cleaning (There. I said it. Coin cleaning. <smile>) is in our hobby, but I just happen to be of the opinion that I'd rather own the "after" as opposed to the "before".

Have a splendid Thursday.

-George

PS: Let the chastising begin.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks Arjohn, N/A thanked for this post