Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Before / After

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterSport View Post
    Well, I guess I would say first I have no problem with what you did...but I have a problem with what you call "verdigris". My definition of Verdigris is a GREEN corrosive salt like affect on copper that actually eats into the metal WHILE creating a chemical crust around said spot. What your pictures look like is just normal circulation crud in the devices which with a long soak in Acetone will remove. The problem with Verdigris is that it eats away metal...depending on the length of time and surface area covered, the green corrosion can be removed, but now you have a hole to deal with.

WS
    I agree, from what I can tell using the given pictures, it doesn't appear to be verdigris. A better solvent that acetone for removing this would have been xylene. I've found acetone really isn't a very good solvent for copper. Acetone is OK for removing light surface debris (like dust) and fresh fingerprints/oils, but that's about it. Xylene tends to solubilize the long-chain organic compounds typically found on copper coins.
    VERDI-CARE™ ALL METAL CONSERVATION FLUID

Lincoln Cent Variety Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose since mineral oil is used to keep you regular, if you use it in food - stay close to the bathroom.
    Charles D. Daughtrey, NLG, Author, "Looking Through Lincoln Cents"
    [URL="http://www.coppercoins.com/"]http://www.coppercoins.com[/URL]

Rogerwheat
    I agree with your Cleaning method no matter what I do with my coins is up to me and I will enjoy them clean or as is .

Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't quite know what brought about your response Rogerwheat, but you are absolutely correct. What you do with your coins is your business and I don't see where anyone was saying otherwise. This thread is about 7 months old and was meant to pass on an individuals way of cleaning or conserving his coins. You agree with that system and that is great. As I mentioned,it was not meant to tell you what you can do or not do with your own coins, but I would like to mention that if you are in the business of re-selling coins, the way you clean or conserve them can be a very expensive lesson if done incorrectly.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Also if you do something to a coin, the future of the coin is affected. Ruin it now, it will always be affected. Experiment on normal circulated coins first before ruining a collectable.

Verdigris is something that probably only a drilled through hole will fix. LOL Even conserved coin from the professionals look cleaned to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Richard S. Cooper Some have asked about my images I use, and I'm glad to say I've completed a DVD of these. Ask if you are interested. Newer members like these.