Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    All I see happening is all members still telling or correcting them that don't know. This been going on for years and will still go on for many more. I don't see a list doing anything that isn't being done already.

ps. I before E except after C isn't always right Chris..lolol..
    Last edited by kloccwork419; 09-11-2013 at 09:50 AM.

TPG & Market Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Member participation rarely makes something worse... when a thread gets out of hand or someone takes a poor approach, it can and will be edited.

The idea is to have threads discussing the use of each term, how it applies to us and how it should be defined.

If this is going to be a giant Cluster**** then it can be a closed thread discussion between INTERESTED parties who want to participate.

By the way- Perhaps I failed to mention- NOBODY is required to participate. Threads would be best served if only people who want to help are active in them. If you don't like Die Trails, don't collect them. If you have a deep hatred towards words and definitions... definitely don't participate in Terminology discussion threads! This is easy.
    Last edited by liveandievarieties; 09-11-2013 at 09:57 AM.
    [B][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=2]Chris & Charity Welch- [COLOR=red]LIVEAN[/COLOR][COLOR=black]DIE[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]VARIETIES[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Purveyors of Modern Treasure [/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course not all people will use it. However, if we did away with useful features just because some people did not take advantage of them, we wouldn't have a search feature or any *sticky* threads to begin with. I see a glossary as a benefit to any website that uses specialized terms. Those words might be defined elsewhere, but why not keep visitors here?
    “What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.”

4. Thanks liveandievarieties, josht thanked for this post
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have stayed relatively quiet - until now:

Here's what I see going on...

I believe most of this got started because I mentioned that too many people were using abbreviations for terms that we shouldn't using them for when explaining coins to new collectors. That was swatted around for a while and turned into this.

My concerns are largely the same as Bob's - a lot of time spent on something that already exists. It also doesn't address my initial concern over too many people using too many abbreviations to describe stuff in an educational forum. If people would learn to type out the entire term in titles and posts, most of the problem would be solved.

The other issue was with regard to 'making up' terms to use, which also can create problems. While it is a far lesser problem than overuse of abbreviations, it can still cause issues.

I personally think reinventing the wheel of coming up with a whole dictionary on a forum is overkill. I do know that error-ref.com does a very good job of explaining errors, and once I get to a point where the content is coming together on coppercoins, I plan on creating image and video rich pages that will explain everything from the minting process to the overlay and attribution process. I know the information is sorely needed, but I honestly don't think the forum is the right place for it.
    Charles D. Daughtrey, NLG, Author, "Looking Through Lincoln Cents"
    [URL="http://www.coppercoins.com/"]http://www.coppercoins.com[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like
    Think about things this way. A publisher will kick a book back in a heartbeat if an author uses acronyms and abbreviations in their writing without clearly spelling out what the acronym or abbreviation means. If we want people to understand what we are trying to tell them the FIRST TIME - without having to re-explain our posts, I would think we would want to write publishable quality work in our response posts.

Think of it that way, and spell everything out, and I seriously don't think there will be a problem with referencing error-ref.com and coppercoins.com for any answers they may need beyond the terms themselves.

This will largely alleviate the confusion caused by using MDD, PSD, DDO, and DDD all in the same sentence...which I have seen.

The content I will be writing for coppercoins.com will be easily referencable information from anywhere on the web, and I not only allow - but encourage people to link to the information I will be writing. Heck, I am largely doing it FOR use as a "link-to" reference for the forums. You think I like typing out the same things over and over again? Heh...I'd rather link people to something already written, and it's not out there now.
    Last edited by coppercoins; 09-11-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coppercoins View Post
    I have stayed relatively quiet - until now:

Here's what I see going on...

I believe most of this got started because I mentioned that too many people were using abbreviations for terms that we shouldn't using them for when explaining coins to new collectors. That was swatted around for a while and turned into this.

My concerns are largely the same as Bob's - a lot of time spent on something that already exists. It also doesn't address my initial concern over too many people using too many abbreviations to describe stuff in an educational forum. If people would learn to type out the entire term in titles and posts, most of the problem would be solved.

The other issue was with regard to 'making up' terms to use, which also can create problems. While it is a far lesser problem than overuse of abbreviations, it can still cause issues.

I personally think reinventing the wheel of coming up with a whole dictionary on a forum is overkill. I do know that error-ref.com does a very good job of explaining errors, and once I get to a point where the content is coming together on coppercoins, I plan on creating image and video rich pages that will explain everything from the minting process to the overlay and attribution process. I know the information is sorely needed, but I honestly don't think the forum is the right place for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppercoins View Post
    Think about things this way. A publisher will kick a book back in a heartbeat if an author uses acronyms and abbreviations in their writing without clearly spelling out what the acronym or abbreviation means. If we want people to understand what we are trying to tell them the FIRST TIME - without having to re-explain our posts, I would think we would want to write publishable quality work in our response posts.

Think of it that way, and spell everything out, and I seriously don't think there will be a problem with referencing error-ref.com and coppercoins.com for any answers they may need beyond the terms themselves.

This will largely alleviate the confusion caused by using MDD, PSD, DDO, and DDD all in the same sentence...which I have seen.

The content I will be writing for coppercoins.com will be easily referencable information from anywhere on the web, and I not only allow - but encourage people to link to the information I will be writing. Heck, I am largely doing it FOR use as a "link-to" reference for the forums. You think I like typing out the same things over and over again? Heh...I'd rather link people to something already written, and it's not out there now.
    So you think it is a bad idea because you want to do it on your site instead?
    As for being a waste of time, the time belongs to those of us who choose to participate, therefore this argument is, well, as waste of time.
    Besides, owners of other sites may retire, or sell off all of their stock, or pull their website, or change their minds, etc. Why shouldn't we have our OWN glossary right here where one belongs!!!!!!
    Last edited by willbrooks; 09-11-2013 at 11:19 AM.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, you took that completely wrong, this is not an argument, and I am done with this thread.

Thanks.

9. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think havin a glossary is a bad idea but to discuss the definitions and terms is really stupid. Or what ones will be used..lol..There is already meanings. No need to figure out what one will be used because they all matter. You guys are blowing this up. Smh, for those that dont know, it means shaking my head .

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kloccwork419 View Post
    I dont think havin a glossary is a bad idea but to discuss the definitions and terms is really stupid. Or what ones will be used..lol..There is already meanings. No need to figure out what one will be used because they all matter. You guys are blowing this up. Smh, for those that dont know, it means shaking my head .
    I think having an open discussion about certain terms will be educational for many members rather than "really stupid."

"There is already meanings."
    Ok, thanks! rofl.

There are also already other coin forums. Should we shut this one down? There are already other tattoo artists in your area, are you gonna quit or are you going to try to put your own best foot forward? Well?
    Last edited by willbrooks; 09-11-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

12. Thanks liveandievarieties, papascoins thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am staying out of this one lol, to much heat going on.

George