Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Conservation for large cent

Hi guys,

I'm trying to conserve this large cent. It has some ugly green spots on the obverse. A few treatments of verdi-care and some picking with a toothpick have not done much to improve it. Do you recommend anything in particular, or is this coin beyond saving?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried a long soak in Verdi-Care ?
    I also have heard it is pretty common to soak these old cents in mineral oil....but I don't know the details.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineman750 View Post
    I also have heard it is pretty common to soak these old cents in mineral oil....but I don't know the details.
    I did not fully submerge the coin in verdi-care, but I left some drops to treat the visible areas for about 24 hours with not much of a noticeable improvement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I would left it like it is. The verdigris is heavy and the surfaces underneath will not be attractive. I have removed this type of verdigris using acid (carefully) as I found that is the only way. Unfortunately, I found rather deep pits and the acid left those areas bright and shiny.

Coins that have had the verdigris advance to this stage are essentially goners. The best thing you can do is use VC, let it dry and then put it into an airtite. As they say "it is what it is".
    VERDI-CARE™ ALL METAL CONSERVATION FLUID

5. Thanks simonm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineman750 View Post
    Mineral oil will not remove verdigris since it (verdigris) is a salt. Verdigris is insoluble in all aliphatic solvents. The old "like dissolves like" principal. It would be akin to using turpentine to remove a salt film that has dried on the metal surface, it ain't gonna work. LOL

The reason people use oil is the make the coin appear nicer since oil will artificially bring out the details, just like if you put water one a coin....yea, it looks better.... until it's gone....oil just lasts longer. However, oil will help prevent corrosion, but that will diminish with time as the oil evaporates and "runs off". It's not actually adhered to the coin, it's just sitting on it and eventually thin spots will develop and allow the corrosive process to continue.

One of VC's tricks is that it forms a polymeric layer as it dries. While it can be easily removed, it actually adheres to the surface and mildly cross-links to form a barrier. Combined with the ReAcT2™, it will offer excellent, chemical corrosion resistance over the long-term.

7. Thanks simonm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd leave it. It'll still fetch a good price.

9. Thanks simonm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadThad View Post
    Personally, I would left it like it is. The verdigris is heavy and the surfaces underneath will not be attractive. I have removed this type of verdigris using acid (carefully) as I found that is the only way. Unfortunately, I found rather deep pits and the acid left those areas bright and shiny.

Coins that have had the verdigris advance to this stage are essentially goners. The best thing you can do is use VC, let it dry and then put it into an airtite. As they say "it is what it is".
    Thanks Thad. I'll give it one more treatment and then put it in a flip or something to protect it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can verdigris spread from one coin to others?

Post Thanks / Like
    However, oil will help prevent corrosion, but that will diminish with time as the oil evaporates and "runs off".
    For that reason I would soak it in mineral oil, maybe repeat it every few years. It's not going to reverse the damage but it will slow down any new corrosion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnovice09 View Post
    Can verdigris spread from one coin to others?
    YES! I call it "contact corrosion". Verdigris needs feed materials to grow and it can actually supply feed materials to other coins. Keep all coins with verdigris isolated.