Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about cleaning chemicals

Just curious. Why should turpentine not be used for dissolving/removing tar and other related substances from coins. It appears to me that it would do a better job than acetone on certain greasy residue. The coin can always be bathed in goo gone and acetone afterward to remove any turpentine residue.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    BadThad could probably explain it best....but I believe that turpentine is acidic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Besides being nasty to work with (harsh fumes, irritating to skin/eyes, flammable) turpentine is actually a variable mixture of many non-polar turpine compounds. In that sense, it's rather unpredictable for coin conservation purposes. I have experimented with it and found it can adversely affect the patina.

When performing conservation, you want predictable results - which is why we typically choose single component solvents such as water, acetone and xylene. Turpentine is a non-polar solvent, for that, we have xylene, which will give much more controlled results.
    VERDI-CARE™ ALL METAL CONSERVATION FLUID

5. Thanks Roller, jallengomez, mustbebob, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes RiddleMeThis liked this post