Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Verdi-care saves Washington!

Hi guys,

I bought a Washington & Independence "colonial" the other day (dated 1783 but struck in the 1820s) on ebay. I saw that it had some verdigris or something else on it. Bought it for a fair price considering the verdigris, hoping to clean it up to possibly bump up the value a little bit more. Dropped some verdi-care around the rim on both sides, let it sit for a bit and lightly started scraping with a toothpick. Patted dry with a coin-safe cloth afterwards. A lot of unsightly gunk around the rim as been removed, as well as some tough spots on the reverse. Overall, results look good and thank you Thad for the great product! If I get enough of the stuff off, I might send this one in for grading.

Here is some before and after pics of the first treatment round. I'll update as I progress.

Pre-treatment

After round 1

Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not bad at all Simon. I am glad you didn't 'overdo' it. Congrats on the nice buy!
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a cool looking coin. Were these considered "restrikes" in 1820, and are they privately minted tokens or were they US issued currency?