Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos needed

1. I am looking for photographs to illustrate the following entries for the LCR glossary. If anyone has photos of these, or has a specimen that could be photographed for a particular entry, and is willing to donate the photos, please PM me, or post it here in the thread. Examples of Lincoln cents preferred over other denominations. Thank you!

Texas Cent
    : A cent that has been hammered between pieces of (usually) leather, creating a cent with a larger-than-normal diameter. This practice is often used on copper-plated zinc cents in order to split and remove the plating.

Orange Peel
    : A somewhat nebulous term to describe a coin whose surface has a textured bumpy surface like that of an orange. Coins can get this orange peel look from different causes including annealing and polishing issues of the die, or from die deterioration, or also from plating problems on plated coins.

Whizzed
    : A coin that has been polished usually by a very fine brush on a rotary tool. It is done in an effort to make a coin look uncirculated or lustrous, but this is considered damage and will devalue a coin.

Would also like photos of a genuine 1922 No D die #2 with the strong reverse.
    edit: oh yeah, and a wavy steps.
    Thanks in advance for supporting the hobby!

edit: Crud, can a mod move this to the terminology forum please?
    Last edited by willbrooks; 05-10-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you searched the site for previous posts... I remember reading about all of those on here before... Pics were also posted!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Wrong Design Die Expert onecent1909's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a wavy step that I don't need.. I can send you.. I tried to photo it.. and my pics are not that good
    Member: Florida State representative for the ANA, Florida state representative for CONECA, F.U.N. and the Ocala Coin Club

4. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1922 no D with strong reverse?

Here is my 1922 no D with strong reverse. This is my opinion, but it may be wrong. If I'm wrong please tell me so. The coin is in about good to good condition in my estimation. You can let me know what you think. If the coin and the pictures are satisfactory you have my permission to use them. Thanks, Joel
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Moderator, Die & Variety Expert jcuve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can probably provide a few of these. One photo of anything I have?

Jason Cuvelier

MadDieClashes.com - ErrorVariety.com
    TrailDies.com - Error-ref.com - Port.Cuvelier.org
    CONECA

(images © Jason Cuvelier 2008-18)___________________

8. Thanks onecent1909, willbrooks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was told that this is a "Texas cent" but I don't know for sure!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

10. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joel View Post
    Here is my 1922 no D with strong reverse. This is my opinion, but it may be wrong. If I'm wrong please tell me so. The coin is in about good to good condition in my estimation. You can let me know what you think. If the coin and the pictures are satisfactory you have my permission to use them. Thanks, Joel
    Joel, that looks like a good specimen for illustrating this entry. Thank you very much! Could I trouble you to take the time to try to get the obverse shot more in focus? Very much appreciated.

I now have a nice side-by-side shot of a Texas cent from Jody as well. Still looking for a nice orange peel example and whizzed example and a wavy steps. I know there are plenty of people out there with a Wavy steps. I just don't have an example myself to shoot. Thanks everyone so far!
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just tossed an extreme Orange peel last week Will...but I'm pretty sure it's in my small toss container, I'll dig through it this week. Funny thing is that I had it set aside, then thought " I don't really need this "

13. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have an excellent example of a whizzed (1927) cent, But to get a picture would be tough. If Jason is willing I could send it to him for the pictures. Just let me know. I will cover postage back and forth.

WS

15. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterSport View Post
    I have an excellent example of a whizzed (1927) cent, But to get a picture would be tough. If Jason is willing I could send it to him for the pictures. Just let me know. I will cover postage back and forth.

WS
    That's great! Thanks. If any one of our great photo guys is willing to step in and photo it, that would be awesome. No way i could capture it myself with my equipment and lack of skill.