Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Counterfeit resource thread

I thought it would be a good idea for us as a community to pool together a reference thread of all of the counterfeit cent dies of which we have photos. Let's fight back! We seem to often see the same "dies" posted, so it may not be far-fetched to believe we can compile a significant percentage of these fakes that are out there. I know we have some members that collect counterfeits, so a compilation could be an extremely valuable resource for us to reference.
    Please refrain from posts that are superfluous. They will be removed. If you want to thank a post, please use the "thanks" button instead of creating unneeded extra posts. Please only post if you have photos that show a:
    1) struck counterfeit
    2) cast counterfeit
    3) sand cast counterfeit
    For the time being, Lincoln cents only please, but we may choose to expand this later. Also, please do not post your "altered" cents in this thread. Since those would each be uniquely made, it wouldn't be part of this focus. If you can, include some text about what focal points on the coin are "wrong." If you are unsure about a coin, please start a new thread about it first to get confirmation from the community before we move it into here. I hope we can build a valuable tool here together!
    Last edited by willbrooks; 06-27-2014 at 12:13 PM.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mrmike916 gave permission to re-post his photos of this counterfeit 1915. You can see the pitted appearance and weak periphery common on a cast counterfeit. The unusual "doubling" on the motto I would assume is due to erosion of this "die" or a failure in its creation. The easiest thing to spot here is that the date on this specimen is all wrong, with the 5 being most noticeably the wrong font. This confused me a bit, because on a cast counterfeit, I would expect the font of the devices to be consistent with a genuine example, since a genuine example is used to create the mold. Interestingly, the 5 on this coin does closely resemble the 5 on a genuine 1955 cent, which is also a heavily counterfeited article. I wonder if a counterfeit 1955 die was re-tooled to make this one. Just speculation. Even without knowing the other diagnostics, this coin is easily spotted as a fake simply by knowing the correct font of the date for this year. Being familiar with these changes over the years is paramount in counterfeit detection. You can see the original thread about this coin HERE.

1915fake1.jpg

1915fake2.jpg

1915fake3.jpg

1915fake4.jpg

1915fake5.jpg
    Last edited by willbrooks; 06-28-2014 at 08:03 AM.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

Registered User pennies4pennies's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to be posting some key date counterfeits. It will take some time. Sorry about some of the pics. My camera is giving me a hard time and also the Amscope.
    Just about 60% of these coins were bought on ebay many years ago. The sellers are no longer around. They knew what they had and I did what I had to do to get these sellers removed from ebay.

The first one is a 1922 no D. It's plain to se it's a fake but not to a new comer to the coin world. You will see on the rev were they stamped it 2 times. The top left wheat stalk, the bottom right wheat stalk and by num. The date is a bad remake. Moderators feel free to add anything to these post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others
    http://stores.ebay.com/pennies4pennies

Post Thanks / Like
    This next one is a 1909S. Moderators feel free to chime in on this post. Add what you see on my post. I have a ton more to post. The next post will be a 1909S VDB.
    Last edited by pennies4pennies; 07-01-2014 at 07:00 PM.

5. Thanks WxMan, rarecollectibles, joel, Lunstedt thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    1909S VDB. The next post will be a 1913S.

7. Thanks cranky, WxMan, rarecollectibles, joel, Lunstedt thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bad job on the date. The next post will be 1911S.

9. Thanks cranky, rarecollectibles, WxMan, joel, Lunstedt thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The next post will be 1914D.

11. Thanks cranky, WxMan, rarecollectibles, joel, Lunstedt thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The next post will be the 1955 DDO and it's the worst counterfeit of Lincoln face I ever saw.

13. Thanks willbrooks, WxMan, rarecollectibles, joel, Lunstedt thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The worst counterfeit I have ever seen.

15. Thanks jfines69, WxMan, rarecollectibles, joel, Lunstedt thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, counterfeits it is.

BJ Neff
    Last edited by trails; 07-02-2014 at 07:51 AM.
    ANA, CCC, CONECA, FUN, Fly-In-Club, NLG & "The Error-Variety Education Consortium"

17. Thanks WxMan, rarecollectibles, joel, Lunstedt thanked for this post