Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    FInally getting around to posting Chris' counterfeit 1943 copper cent. I believe this to be a sand-cast counterfeit. It has the typical pitting, weak devices, especially around the periphery, rounded devices, and lack of flow lines associated with this practice. Note the extreme weakness in many of the devices in random locations, including parts of the motto and legend, the middle of the reverse, and the hairline. There are no die flow lines. There may have been some polishing to hide this. This coin weighs in light at 3.02g. Chris, did you by chance take this one in for x-ray spectrometry?
    The good photos are Chris', the washed out ones are not, lol.
    cast counterfeit.jpgcastcounterfeit1.jpgcastcounterfeit2.jpg1943copper1.jpg

1943copper2.jpg1943copper3.jpg1943copper4.jpg1943copper5.jpg
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

2. Thanks rarecollectibles, mrmike916, joel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Different denominations:

Henning nickel. Note loop in the "R".

Nickel/Cent magicians coin. Made from two coins.
    Sand cast:

Sand cast. Altered date. Should be 1986, show 1906

Rough sand cast quarter.
    Last edited by coop; 07-06-2014 at 12:21 PM.
    Richard S. Cooper Some have asked about my images I use, and I'm glad to say I've completed a DVD of these. Ask if you are interested. Newer members like these.

4. Thanks liveandievarieties, mrmike916, joel, onecent1909 thanked for this post
    Likes joel, onecent1909 liked this post
    TPG & Market Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    A note to participants- Frank & Coop- could you note any specific die gouges, tooling marks or other characteristics of these counterfeits? This is going to be an excellent reference with the help of everyone who is participating, thanks!
    [B][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=2]Chris & Charity Welch- [COLOR=red]LIVEAN[/COLOR][COLOR=black]DIE[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]VARIETIES[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Purveyors of Modern Treasure [/FONT]

6. Thanks coop, cranky, joel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Counterfeit 1913 S

Yet another horrible counterfeit. This was up on eBay very recently. I don't think the seller knew it was a fake, and didn't have any more listed, so I don't think he is one to watch out for. I grabbed it with some other coins for just over $20, so in not in it too deep. I did know it was counterfeit when I bought it, and figured it would be a good learning piece for us at least. Not my area of expertise, but I believe this would be a sand cast. I've seen this reverse die a few times now. The DDR plus the gouge on the right side of the left wheat near U is a big giveaway. There are is a lot of silver specked impurities throughout the enite coin. I'm not sure if the change in color from red to goldish is impuries as well, or possibly a re color, or just enviro dammage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Thanks willbrooks, liveandievarieties, joel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're right, Mike. That is the same reverse die used on your 1915 in the first post. And similarly to the other one, the date is the wrong font. Very interesting. Thanks for posting it.
    On a side note, what in the world happened to all of Frank's pictures? Would you have any insight on what happened, Peter?
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

10. Thanks mrmike916, joel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

wished i had my braclet.

here are some coins I bought for 20.00. Just knew I would get my money back then some. Ha ha! Size, weight it all was there. Just try a magnet.

12. Thanks mrmike916, joel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1933 D counterfeit

Picked this up on Ebay, There was a small image and the 33 looked odd but I figured it was a hit to flatten the numbers. As soon as I opened the pack I knew it was all wrong. The 33 is the wrong shape and looks upside down of a 31 or 32 punch. There is no V.D.B on the bust. The reverse looks fair except for the die chip on the left ear and unusual width an flat area on the right. The top of the reverse has file marks from the dies leaving to sharp of an edge. I am trying to return it, but the low cost would be a good example for others to learn by.

Since posting, refund has been given. I wanted to get a couple images before returning it.
    Last edited by uglycent; 01-09-2015 at 11:12 PM. Reason: additional information
    Even a fool can look wise if he keeps his mouth closed.

14. Thanks mrmike916, willbrooks, cranky, joel, duece2seven thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, but not supprised! I will be when we see a fake 58-d! Definitely wrong date style, and the same reverse die that we have seen many times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, the date is not even close to correct. I think I see that tell tale chip on the left wheat stalk. Same "manufacturer" as many other fakes. Thanks for posting it!
    Last edited by willbrooks; 06-15-2015 at 04:17 PM.

17. Likes cranky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to add my last E bay treasure's. I knew it was too god to be true. I'm listing 2 coins only beause they are the same die just different Mint Marks. And I would add terrible fakes. 1st up 1911 D next 1911 S.

19. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Likes willbrooks liked this post