Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1998 Weak Strike?

Additional Information
    Date: 1998

It seems like I get a lot of strange Lincolns. This 1998 has a weak impression on the date and the bottom right portion of 8 has a ghost like double to the southeast. However, the rims on the edges are set quite deep. On the reverse the last A in AMERICA has a ghost like appearance at its base. There is also two little smooth pond like impressions between the last A and the C. These are hard to see in the photo,but very evident in person. The 8 and the last A are opposite each other so perhaps the planchet was thinner in that area or it was a Tapered Planchet as I just read in the new glossary additions. Other explanations are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joel; 09-04-2014 at 05:11 PM.

2. Thanks cranky thanked for this post
    Likes jallengomez liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great coin Joel! The reverse looks to be a struck through (thread or hair). I don't think it is a scratch. The obverse appears to be struck through grease (not a tapered planchet), but more interestingly, that ghost image of the 8 you see reminds me of what Mike Diamond calls "Grease Mold Doubling," or "Stiff-Die-Fill-Raised-Design-Element-Doubling" Check out this article and click on the magnifying glass to look at the pictures. I think these have only been found on 1995 cents, so if this is what it is, it is quite an interesting find. We'll have to wait for Mike to give his analysis.

Also see this thread here: http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...+mold+doubling
    Last edited by willbrooks; 09-04-2014 at 05:48 PM.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

4. Thanks joel, Maineman750 thanked for this post
    Likes joel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can see the struck through grease but the SE extra loop (if that's what we're talking about) is way out of proportion to the normal 8 so I don't see it as a replication.

6. Thanks joel, cranky thanked for this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roller View Post
    I can see the struck through grease but the SE extra loop (if that's what we're talking about) is way out of proportion to the normal 8 so I don't see it as a replication.
    If you read Mike's article, you will see that the portions of the extra digit will be larger than normal with this phenomenon.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

8. Thanks cranky, joel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand that Will and you may be right. But the enlargement on this one is well out of proportion and considerably removed from the intended design. Don't know about these errors at all. Just expressing my observation. What is showing may well be agouge or other die damage.
    Last edited by Roller; 09-04-2014 at 08:22 PM.

10. Thanks cranky, joel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a great one. Funny Iwas just checking tihis out.

Yours is a lot nicer. Thanks Joel.
    DSCN3117.jpgDSCN3116.jpg

12. Thanks joel thanked for this post
    Likes joel liked this post
    Paid Member, Error Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great find. This is indeed a case of grease mold doubling. It's now known from 1995, 1998, and 1999 cents. I'd like to write this one up for Coin World if that can be arranged.

14. Thanks willbrooks, joel, Maineman750 thanked for this post
    Likes joel, simonm, jallengomez, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, That would be great! I'll send you the coin if you would like to see it in person. Tell me where to send it. Thanks, joel

Paid Member, Error Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great. I'll send you a PM with my mailing address.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in possession of 2 pre 82 coppers 1974 and ? . 74 out of a OBW. May still have a couple of ZN ones still.

18. Thanks joel thanked for this post