Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overlays

Post Thanks / Like

Overlays

I have been reading several posts that talk about doing an overlay on the picture to see if images match up correctly. Problem is I don't know how to do an overlay. Could someone explain to me the process for doing this.

Thanks,
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll need some type of software to work with. I use Photoshop and can tell you how to do it with Photoshop. Do you have image editing software? I also understand that there are free programs you can use for overlays, but I've never worked with one of those.
    “What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.”

Post Thanks / Like
    To my knowledge I dont have any image editing software unless it is on my computer (windows 8.1) and I dont know about it. I believe I have an OLD edition of photoshop somewhere but dont know how compatible it would be with the newer version of windows. I would not be opposed to buying a new edition of photoshop if that is what I need!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Photoshop for many different things, and while I certainly recommend it, it would be pricey if all you were going to do is overlays. I think some here use some of the free overlay software, so hopefully they'll chime in. I know that we've also discussed this before, so you might try searching the forums and see if you come up with one of those previous discussions.
    “What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Keith, I'm pretty sure there are some instructions and links to free programs somewhere in the photography section of our forum....try doing some searches...I don't have time right now but you can remind me later if you can't find it...just shoot me a PM

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys - I appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had never done overlays but needed to do some for the 1958/57 Cent thread. I used Paint.net and it was very easy to use, and free!
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

8. Thanks Keith thanked for this post
    Likes jallengomez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to do an overlay with Photoshop 11 tonight, looked on the web at the tutorials and I guess my version does not have the select overlay option. I have three coins I need to check and need help with photoshop. I have the basic version - what version has the overlay option?

I'll see if the paint.net is accessable

10. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paint.net is a free download:

https://paint-net.en.softonic.com/
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_parkhurst View Post
    Paint.net is a free download:

https://paint-net.en.softonic.com/

Tried to download but a tab comes up saying the link from the publisher appears to be broken?