Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Railroad Rim

1. I think this is a good example for Will to add to our Terminology section.
    Attached Images
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

2. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think so too...although I have never had an expert confirm that what you picture is a railroad rim (I thought it was).

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have never even heard the term before, so you would have to help me with the definition. I moved the thread to the terminology sub-forum. This section can be used to introduce and discuss terms. Can someone give an explanation of what this is and how it is created?
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally found an example and pics by coop here : http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/t...OPIC_ID=155308

6. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we first have to define rim. I think the OP shows a rim. Coop's reference does not show a "rim" as I understand rim. On the other hand, I'm a "furner" so who knows I might be wrong. The fact is that I have discarded quite a few of these (shown in the OP) in the past.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not the same kind of example shown in that thread though is it?
    ANA, CONECA, FUN, NGC, PCGS

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roller View Post
    I think we first have to define rim. I think the OP shows a rim. Coop's reference does not show a "rim" as I understand rim. On the other hand, I'm a "furner" so who knows I might be wrong. The fact is that I have discarded quite a few of these (shown in the OP) in the past.
    I agree with you, George. Coop's photo is showing the edge, not the rim. I have edge and rim defined in the glossary. Perhaps "railroad rim" is a misnomer if this anomaly affects the edge of the coin? What Coop is showing is completely different from what Jerry is showing. As I am unfamiliar with this error, I cannot say which is correct. I will have to PM Mike Diamond, unless BJ or someone else in the know can chime in here.
    Last edited by willbrooks; 10-02-2014 at 05:10 PM.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe coops example is correct...and actually looks like the wheel of a railroad car.....it made sense when I saw it. I think the example the OP posted may be a slightly finned rim.

Wrong Design Die Expert onecent1909's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Railroad rim is when the collar moves during ejection and then get stuck and does not go back to the original position. this make a portion of the edge of the coin contained by the collar and part not contained inside the collar making the metal go out side the collar. it does look like the wheel of a rail car. the OP pic is a "double rim" ( what I call it )
    I will look through my book and see if there is a term for the OP coin...
    BUT the OP coin is NOT a railroad rim. per every error book I have ever read....
    Last edited by onecent1909; 10-02-2014 at 05:58 PM.
    Member: Florida State representative for the ANA, Florida state representative for CONECA, F.U.N. and the Ocala Coin Club

12. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Wrong Design Die Expert onecent1909's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    what I found would lend me to believe that the OP coin being a very light finned rim..

"...Excessive space between the die shaft and the collar. It is due to either a smaller than normal die shaft, ort a larger than normal collar diameter." THE ERROR COIN ENCYCLOPEDIA 4TH EDITION. Page 347 by Arnold Margolis and Fred Weinberg.

this FINNED RIM make the coins not lay flat.. it is high on one side.. but a light example would still lay mostly flat
    Member: Florida State representative for the ANA, Florida state representative for CONECA, F.U.N. and the Ocala Coin Club