Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Railroad Rim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by onecent1909 View Post
    what I found would lend me to believe that the OP coin being a very light finned rim..

"...Excessive space between the die shaft and the collar. It is due to either a smaller than normal die shaft, ort a larger than normal collar diameter." THE ERROR COIN ENCYCLOPEDIA 4TH EDITION. Page 347 by Arnold Margolis and Fred Weinberg.

this FINNED RIM make the coins not lay flat.. it is high on one side.. but a light example would still lay mostly flat
    So; neither this nor Coop's post represents a railroad rim. I have found a few with your description John. I just don't know presently where I filed them.
    P.S. I do not believe the OPs is a finned rim.
    Last edited by Roller; 10-02-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Wrong Design Die Expert onecent1909's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure on the OP being a finned rim... I just cant find it in a book. and have no "name" for it. It reminds me of extra space between the collar and the die IF the die was to small.. the blank would be struck by the smaller obverse die making 1 rim and then some metal squeeze out around that obverse die making another rim.. BUT just going out not up the die so not making a "fin" so to speak
    I have something I have to do... give me 30 min. I will look at COOPs pic and find the def on a railroad rim in my book.
    Member: Florida State representative for the ANA, Florida state representative for CONECA, F.U.N. and the Ocala Coin Club

Post Thanks / Like
    A partial collar strike sometimes called a railroad wheel rim or a railroad rim

a totally jammed collar will result in a broad struck coin as no collar was present to hold the metal in place
    but if the collar were half jammed and half holding the blank disk that will become a struck coin...

"...In this position , if a blank is fed into the collar, only part of that blank ( the lower part ), will be contained by the collar , while the upper part of the blank will not be controlled by it. When the blank is struck, the lower part will be formed into the correct diameter because of the partial presence of that collar. the upper part of the blank will be free to spread in a manner of a broadstruck coin. Both the obverse and the reverse designs will be in their essentially normal shapes."
    " The edge of this coin will have the unusual shape of two distinct diameters. If viewed edgewise it will appear to be very much like the conventional shape of a railroad wheel with its flange which permits it to remain on the rials of the railroad." THE ERROR COIN ENCYCLOPEDIA 4TH EDITION. Page 324 by Arnold Margolis and Fred Weinberg.
    Member: Florida State representative for the ANA, Florida state representative for CONECA, F.U.N. and the Ocala Coin Club

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by onecent1909 View Post
    A partial collar strike sometimes called a railroad wheel rim or a railroad rim

a totally jammed collar will result in a broad struck coin as no collar was present to hold the metal in place
    but if the collar were half jammed and half holding the blank disk that will become a struck coin...

"...In this position , if a blank is fed into the collar, only part of that blank ( the lower part ), will be contained by the collar , while the upper part of the blank will not be controlled by it. When the blank is struck, the lower part will be formed into the correct diameter because of the partial presence of that collar. the upper part of the blank will be free to spread in a manner of a broadstruck coin. Both the obverse and the reverse designs will be in their essentially normal shapes."
    " The edge of this coin will have the unusual shape of two distinct diameters. If viewed edgewise it will appear to be very much like the conventional shape of a railroad wheel with its flange which permits it to remain on the rials of the railroad." THE ERROR COIN ENCYCLOPEDIA 4TH EDITION. Page 324 by Arnold Margolis and Fred Weinberg.
    Good job John. Meanwhile, I happen to have a finned rim example set aside yesterday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    COOPs example of the nickel is a railroad rim..
    It shows the reverse die was on bottom and the collar stuck down only covered part of the blank.. that was the reverse side. The metal was contained on that side.. the obverse area had no collar holding the blank... so some of the metal flowed outside of the normal diameter of the collar making the railroad rim or partial collar strike.

IF this definition was added to the glossary... I would vote that it be listed as "Partial collar strike" and in the info say that it is sometimes called a "railroad rim" and have "railroad rim" refer back to "partial collar strike"
    Last edited by onecent1909; 10-02-2014 at 07:06 PM.

6. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roller View Post
    Good job John. Meanwhile, I happen to have a finned rim example set aside yesterday.
    Yes that is a finned rim.. still don't know about the OPs coin.. like a finned rim that just.. did not rise up?
    The OP coin and a def for what it is may need to be checked with... BJ, Fred Weinberg, Mike Diamond, or someone from CONECA?
    Fred,BJ,Mike and CONECA will all be at the F.U.N. show... IF we do not have a good solid answer by then, I will talk to all of them and get a term, and def we can use on this kind of coin..
    Good talk all.. I think everyone has learned something...

Post Thanks / Like
    This is something very interesting... I will have to TRACK this ... So this is a double rim??? I do have a 2002D with the rim edge issue like coops and will post it later!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    In Alan Herbert's book "Price Guide to Mint Errors" 7th Edition Page 253.
    III-M-1 Flanged Partial Collar Strike.
    A flanged partial collar strike is defined as: A coin struck with the obverse die as the hammer die, the collar only partially raised around the coin, showing on the struck coin as a flange of the coin metal which spread out above the top of the collar, parallel to the upper (obverse) face of the coin and extending beyond the normal diameter of the coin. Nicknamed a "railroad rim".
    Last edited by JC Stevens; 10-03-2014 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Typo
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

10. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes but this is still not the original post coin... as there is not 2 diameters.
    But that is another definition of a partial collar strike.
    I have that book and enjoy it.. but I let a friend use it and did not have it to look at.. thanks for this.

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW. I think the OP coin is evidence of a misaligned die strike and nothing more.