Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

1. Thanks to discussions and threads involving 2Old, Onecent1909, Roller, Maineman750, and Mike Diamond, we have 3 new entries for our glossary! Thanks guys for all of your input!

PDS System: The PDS System is a highly structured cataloging system for mint varieties and errors. It was originally compiled by Alan Herbert in 1971. PDS stands for the three main divisions of the minting process: “planchet,” “die” and “striking.” Two more divisions cover collectible modifications after the strike, as well as non-collectible post-strike modifications such as altered, counterfeit and damaged coins. Thank you to forum member 2Old for writing this entry.

Roller Lines:
    These are very thin parallel striations, often seen on both the obverse and reverse going in the same direction. Though sometimes blamed on improper alloy mixture, these thinner, more even lines are more likely from dirty or damaged rollers from the rolling mill when it was reducing the planchet stock to the correct thickness for coin production. More commonly seen in the late 70s and early 80s. Please see this article by Mike Diamond for more information on striped coinage: http://www.coinworld.com/insights/di...nderstood.html Photo examples pending.

Partial Collar Strike:
    This occurs when a coin is struck which its edge only partially contained in the collar. The part of the edge which is contained in the collar is constricted from expansion as normal, but the portion not contained in the collar expands abnormally as a broad struck coin would. This creates a bi-level edge which resembles the wheel of a railroad car, and thus these are colloquially called “railroad rims.” This is somewhat of a misnomer, however, since the edge is really the part showing the effect, more so than the rim. Photo examples pending.

As always, I welcome constructive criticism if I have made an error or an ambiguity. Also, if you have good photo examples for Roller Lines or a Partial Collar Strike ("Railroad Rim"), please post them here or PM me, so I can add them to the entries. Thanks to everyone. Our resource continues to grow with everyone's input.
    Last edited by willbrooks; 12-17-2014 at 07:29 AM.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

2. Thanks jallengomez, Maineman750, Keith, jfines69, joel, cranky, jmangham thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69, joel, duece2seven liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, my step-son pointed out the following omission, which has been added. Lol, what can you do?

Riddler: A sifting device which removes both oversized and undersized coin blanks, planchets, or coins, allowing only the proper sized ones to continue on in the coin production process. Also, one of the arch-enemies of Batman.
    RiddlerTV.jpg
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

4. Thanks jfines69, jmangham thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post
    Wrong Design Die Expert onecent1909's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    Also, my step-son pointed out the following omission, which has been added. Lol, what can you do?

Riddler: A sifting device which removes both oversized and undersized coin blanks, planchets, or coins, allowing only the proper sized ones to continue on in the coin production process. Also, one of the arch-enemies of Batman.
    WTG ... for your step-son.... got to love those arch-enemies !
    Member: Florida State representative for the ANA, Florida state representative for CONECA, F.U.N. and the Ocala Coin Club

6. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Likes willbrooks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Will et al for the new info... Ya'll are all rite no matter what any one says
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

8. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was saving lots of those disco era cents thinking that they were "woodys". Then I found a nice example of a true alloy error from the 60s that raised doubts about the those.

10. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post