Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

1. R-Dated
    In the book “THE CLASSIFICATION AND VALUE OF ERRORS ON THE LINCOLN CENT” by Jean Cohen there is a section with listings for “R-DATED” Lincoln Cents. The image below is an example and could be the 57D-R64, missing the (sp) diecrack right wheat to rim.
    Attached Images
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My opinion...I don't know if it would be an appropriate LCR glossary listing. We could end up naming things and listing almost any crack that made a device look different. I think that since Cohen named it in her book, then it should be unique to that listings. I don't recall ever hearing this
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

3. Likes willbrooks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mustbebob View Post
    My opinion...I don't know if it would be an appropriate LCR glossary listing. We could end up naming things and listing almost any crack that made a device look different. I think that since Cohen named it in her book, then it should be unique to that listings. I don't recall ever hearing this
    You make a good point, she also lists Connects, Spiked Heads & Cracked Skulls.

5. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Bob. I have never even heard this term used before, but I'm glad you posted this, because I know I wanted to add "spiked head" and maybe "skull crack" at one time and then probably forgot. Spiked heads are things we see often in the Lincoln series, and I think would be a good addition. But to clarify, are you saying "spiked head" is a proprietary term used by Cohen? I would definitely include that info, but never knew it's origin. Thanks, JC!

p.s. Also never heard "connect" used before, but it makes sense.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

Post Thanks / Like
    We could have another issue if we added “R-Dated”. Add a little, or a lot, of Eggnog and we have people looking for R-Rated Lincolns.

8. Likes willbrooks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Old View Post
    We could have another issue if we added “R-Dated”. Add a little, or a lot, of Eggnog and we have people looking for R-Rated Lincolns.
    Wouldn't we need to look on the memorial cents only since that is where Abe sits
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Never heard of connects or R-Dated before... Those may be specific to Jean Cohen only... As for spikes those are used by everyone... Then again how did some of the internet/cell fone lingo make it into Websters Dictionary
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The words 'Spiked heads' has been around for a real long time, but I am unaware of its origin. I am thinking it was a term coined by Frank Spadone in his series of books.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

12. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Moderator, Die & Variety Expert jcuve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    R-dated? Very strange. Sounds like the old J-Valve and K-Valves used in scuba diving...

Jason Cuvelier

MadDieClashes.com - ErrorVariety.com
    TrailDies.com - Error-ref.com - Port.Cuvelier.org
    CONECA

(images © Jason Cuvelier 2008-18)___________________

14. Likes willbrooks liked this post