Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Having an eggnog and listing some new entries! Here are the new entries I put in today. Thanks to Jerry, Josh, Mike, and Tracey for photos, and to all those who gave their input.

Bezel: A (usually) metal holder used in jewelry to hold a disc-shaped object such as a coin or medallion. These often will cause permanent damage to the rim of the coin when tightened down around the coin. When these coins are released from their bezels, their rims will exhibit this damage. See also Encased Cent. Photos courtesy of forum member mrmike916.

Encased Cent (Ex-encased Cent):
    A cent that was once kept in a bezel as a piece of jewelry or “lucky” cent. Many of these ex-encased cents will exhibit damage in the form of a flattened rim from the bezel they were in. Pictures courtesy of forum member mrmike916.

Lucky Cent:
    See Encased Cent.

Cracked Skull:
    This is simply a die crack or series of die cracks in the head region of the bust on a Lincoln cent. This is a very common area for die cracks to develop. Jean Cohen lists “cracked skulls” in her book on “Errors on the Lincoln Cent.” See also Spiked Head. Photos courtesy of jmangham and 2Old.

Spiked Head:
    The skull region of the bust on Lincoln cents is a common area for Die Cracks to develop. See also Cracked Skull. When these die cracks extrude out of the skull into the field, they are colloquially called “Spiked Heads.” Jean Cohen lists Spike Heads in her book “Errors on the Lincoln Cent.” Photo courtesy of forum member duece2seven.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

2. Thanks jfines69, mrmike916, duece2seven thanked for this post
    Likes cranky, mustbebob, jfines69, jcuve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool Will... Happy Fathers Day!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, did you get the nog for fathers day?

What do you think about adding the "Hardy Index System" to the Glossary? It deals only with LIBERTY die breaks on the Lincoln Cent.
    "A schematic method for identifying and classifying Liberty Die Breaks".
    Developed by Howard O. Hardy for the BIE ODDITY COLLECTORS GUILD.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Old View Post
    Cool, did you get the nog for fathers day?

What do you think about adding the "Hardy Index System" to the Glossary? It deals only with LIBERTY die breaks on the Lincoln Cent.
    "A schematic method for identifying and classifying Liberty Die Breaks".
    Developed by Howard O. Hardy for the BIE ODDITY COLLECTORS GUILD.

I think that I am blown away about how the BIE thread has totally blown up into the most popular thing ever! I think it is great, and it is very interesting to see what interests people. WWCS? lol. I think, since you know way more about it than I do, that you should write the entry, like you did before for PDS, and I will add it to the glossary. You are a great advocate to the hobby, Jerry, and the hobby is fortunate to have you!
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's in the mail. You'll need to "Word Smith" it and apply your magic. I've never been very good at that. I was a good target for my English teachers habit of tossing chalk in high school.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

7. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Will. Cool stuff.

9. Likes willbrooks liked this post