Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

1. I added the following entries to our glossary. Thanks to all who contribute.

Floating Roof: When a die is over-polished, the devices are often reduced in size, or in extreme cases, completely removed from the die. A Floating Roof is the name given when parts of the memorial building are polished away, making it appear the roof is floating in mid-air. See also Abraded Die, and No FG. Photo courtesy of forum member addictedtocoins.

Rockwell Hardness Test: A test done at the mint to determine if a planchet or die is of appropriate hardness. The test involves pressing a small metal ball into the planchet or die and measuring the depth of the resulting cavity. This smooth round or oval cavity can be sometimes seen on struck coins. Please visit this link for more information and photo examples. http://conecaonline.org/content/RockwellHardnessTest.html
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

2. Thanks jfines69, mustbebob, Maineman750, dinkyblue, Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really appreciate the way you keep up with the glossary... THANK YOU very much!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Registered User addictedtocoins's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Sir, and everyone else that does what they do to help us all have a better understanding of the hobby and coins in general. I've learned a lot since joining this forum ! The Glossary has been a big help !

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Will, you are the man!!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Old View Post
    Thanks Will, you are the man!!
    Where you been, JC? Great to see you. I am not "the" man, but I do take great pride in being "a" man. The glossary wouldn't exist without the whole, because I still wouldn't know squat without all of you guys. All I did was organize the knowledge the community provided. Cheers, my friend.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

7. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    Where you been, JC? Great to see you. I am not "the" man, but I do take great pride in being "a" man. The glossary wouldn't exist without the whole, because I still wouldn't know squat without all of you guys. All I did was organize the knowledge the community provided. Cheers, my friend.
    That organization makes you DA MAN!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!