Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Laser coin restoration video

Thought you guys might find this interesting. I can't tell but it looks like it would butcher a more modern coin? I suppose it has value if you were trying to touch up 1000 gnarly wheats in 10 minutes or less! ��

Link:
    https://youtu.be/-oskWpQK4B0

2. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "ready to be varnished"...lol But then again, I'm not all that squeamish about cleaned coins....original is nice, but if there is no other choice...what the heck.

4. Likes duece2seven liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eowch! That left some really weird lines on it.

I'd like to see that with a coin that would be a BU were it not for verdigris caked on it!
    "And he will tell you, skill is late — A Mightier than He —
    Has ministered before Him — There's no Vitality."

6. Likes duece2seven liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There goes the patina and the value, if any. I can achieve that result without a laser.

8. Likes duece2seven liked this post
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are calling this 'restoration'? I see it as damage . I think the dark brown color is what makes these older coins so special.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

10. Likes duece2seven liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is damage alright... The laser burns what it comes into contact with... That is why jewelers use lasers to engrave high value diamonds... There is no way to remove the laser engraving with out damage to the stone... If we could zoom in on the coin in the video there would be microscopic metal blobs on the surface... I could see the laser being used on a barnicle encrusted coin but there are other ways to do that... They just take longer!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

12. Likes duece2seven liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read somewhere about how NGC's restoration service removes a "microscopic" layer of metal yet still leaves the luster intact. I always wondered if they chemically dipped the coins or incorporated a laser perhaps? I'm far too ignorant to pass judgement on anyone's methods. I'm just curious. One of the main questions I have is how deeply could you dig into an UNC coin and still have any remaining luster derived from striking at the mint?

Post Thanks / Like
    Original is the call for me. As a historian, the patina is what gives antique and collectables their charm. Even a BU wheat cent with the original thumb print can be intriguing to look at.
    Last edited by uglycent; 11-29-2016 at 11:42 PM.
    Even a fool can look wise if he keeps his mouth closed.

15. Likes duece2seven liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by duece2seven View Post
    I read somewhere about how NGC's restoration service removes a "microscopic" layer of metal yet still leaves the luster intact. I always wondered if they chemically dipped the coins or incorporated a laser perhaps? I'm far too ignorant to pass judgement on anyone's methods. I'm just curious. One of the main questions I have is how deeply could you dig into an UNC coin and still have any remaining luster derived from striking at the mint?
    Not sure how they would do that... That would be interesting to find out tho!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

17. Likes duece2seven liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just goes to show you how quick we are as a species to misjudge others. We spent our childhood being taught that aliens with lasers were trying to kill us. But all along they were just peacefully trying to show us how to restore our coins!
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

19. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post