Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Wrong Design Die Expert onecent1909's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    or the congress time spent deciding if it needs a P or not.
    The mint decided this, Congress had no input.
    Member: Florida State representative for the ANA, Florida state representative for CONECA, F.U.N. and the Ocala Coin Club

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure they would tell the public but the public doesn't need to agree if congress does it.

As much as I like cents, they're sort of irrelevant. Younger people don't pick them up, I find them almost every time I walk.
    In perspective, in the 1790s when the US first made coins they went down to half cents. With inflation that's probably like a half dollar or more. They didn't ever use millicents (other than tax tokens). Back then a handful of cents could buy something but today it won't do much.

Imagine if for one week you had to shop using only cents. It would take a few bricks to buy groceries, an appliance would take a trunk full. Imagine paying for even a grocery trip, handing the clerk $65.37 in cents, they'd be counting them for an hour. Just imagine going through the drive thru and buying a couple burgers and handing them 1259 cents for $12.59, they'd probably call the cops.

They cost much more than a cent to make, their accounting of just over a cent isn't realistic. There is no way they really can make them for less than a few cents or more if they include the mint buildings, employee healthcare and retirement and pay or the congress time spent deciding if it needs a P or not. They justify stuff with accounting that would never work for a non government outfit, if they had cents made by a normal company with real accounting I bet they cost more.
    Imagine paying for a new Ferrari with cents
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

4. Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Start with a cent on day one and double it every day for a month and see how much you have after the last day - Day 1 = 1c, Day 2 = 2c, day 3 = 4c, day 4 = 8c, etc... I pick them up
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

6. Likes Maineman750, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They cost much more than a cent to make, their accounting of just over a cent isn't realistic. There is no way they really can make them for less than a few cents or more if they include the mint buildings, employee healthcare and retirement and pay or the congress time spent deciding if it needs a P or not. They justify stuff with accounting that would never work for a non government outfit, if they had cents made by a normal company with real accounting I bet they cost more.
    This is one argument against the cent, that I call a red herring. First off, a cent is only a tool used for exchange and the cost to make it has nothing to do with the value it represents. If it is used 100 times, does that make it worth 1 dollar, or used 10,000 times, worth 100 dollars ? The idea that government can manufacture wealth out of non-precious metals or paper is ridiculous....using that logic they should only create one million dollar bills. And yes, I know they try, but it is all an illusion in the end...one day we will pay the piper.

8. Likes VAB2013, mustbebob, jallengomez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jallengomez View Post
    Just when I thought the Shields couldn't get any uglier.

http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coi...irst-time.html
    A really "bland" design. Where is the beauty or history?

10. Likes TJ1952 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it was interesting that the addition of the "P" was recommended by mint workers as an achievement. Is that kinda like getting a tattoo to celebrate something special or was the conversation more like.... Denver has a D... we want a P!
    Last edited by VAB2013; 01-15-2017 at 05:58 AM. Reason: fixed it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineman750 View Post
    This is one argument against the cent, that I call a red herring. First off, a cent is only a tool used for exchange and the cost to make it has nothing to do with the value it represents. If it is used 100 times, does that make it worth 1 dollar, or used 10,000 times, worth 100 dollars ? The idea that government can manufacture wealth out of non-precious metals or paper is ridiculous....using that logic they should only create one million dollar bills. And yes, I know they try, but it is all an illusion in the end...one day we will pay the piper.
    At the end of the day isn't all wealth an illusion we have all bought into? You can't eat it or start a fire for comfort with it. All we do is use it for barter or bragging rights. Might be able to build shelter if you had enough gold and silver bars tho!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Start with a cent on day one and double it every day for a month and see how much you have after the last day - Day 1 = 1c, Day 2 = 2c, day 3 = 4c, day 4 = 8c, etc... I pick them up
    Well, for Feb.(picked a short month since I was in a hurry this morning) would only be $932,582.68 I believe!
    I don't think even the pockets on my cargo pants would hold them all!

14. Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can all go back to the barter system. Try carrying a cow in your pants pocket.

16. Likes VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just think of all of the traffic the forum will get next year when people see a P on their cents and ask if it is an error!
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

18. Likes enamel7, jallengomez, TJ1952 liked this post