Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    First off, a cent is only a tool used for exchange and the cost to make it has nothing to do with the value it represents. If it is used 100 times, does that make it worth 1 dollar, or used 10,000 times, worth 100 dollars ?
    In a way I agree but the question is do we need the tool or can we round off like we do when buying gas. If they truly got used a lot like in the past it might be worth it. Now they make 10 billion of them each year and because the value is so low many people fill a container and don't bother to re-use them. If they were truly being re-used then a years production of 10 billion is all we need because we only need 4 cents per citizen to have the right change. That means one year of making 10 billion should last almost forever. It doesn't because so many people have them in containers instead of spending them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Well, for Feb.(picked a short month since I was in a hurry this morning) would only be $932,582.68 I believe!
    I don't think even the pockets on my cargo pants would hold them all!
    How much would that be on a month with 31 days
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    It doesn't because so many people have them in containers instead of spending them.
    All we want is addresses!!

4. Likes TPring liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    I think it was interesting that the addition of the "P" was recommended by mint workers as an achievement. Is that kinda like getting a tattoo to celebrate something special or was the conversation more like.... Denver has a D... we want a P!
    That's what the bathroom is for
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

6. Likes VAB2013, Frank, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineman750 View Post
    This is one argument against the cent, that I call a red herring. First off, a cent is only a tool used for exchange and the cost to make it has nothing to do with the value it represents. If it is used 100 times, does that make it worth 1 dollar, or used 10,000 times, worth 100 dollars ? The idea that government can manufacture wealth out of non-precious metals or paper is ridiculous....using that logic they should only create one million dollar bills. And yes, I know they try, but it is all an illusion in the end...one day we will pay the piper.
    Can we pay the Piper in Pennies
    Jim

8. Likes Frank, TPring liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    In a way I agree but the question is do we need the tool or can we round off like we do when buying gas. If they truly got used a lot like in the past it might be worth it. Now they make 10 billion of them each year and because the value is so low many people fill a container and don't bother to re-use them. If they were truly being re-used then a years production of 10 billion is all we need because we only need 4 cents per citizen to have the right change. That means one year of making 10 billion should last almost forever. It doesn't because so many people have them in containers instead of spending them.
    Yes, I've heard that....but I wonder how true it is...everybody I know saves them and almost everybody cashes them in after they have about a gallon, so in theory they should return to circulation. I don't know of anybody with a large quantity..and believe me, it is something I ask. I also save all of my other change instead of carrying it in my pockets. At a glance, the ratio of nickels, dimes and quarters is roughly the same through the years, so maybe it's just that a larger population needs more coins. The rounding idea is what scares me....I don't trust the government to ever round down unless they are paying you

10. Likes Frank, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    ...when people see a P on their cents and ask if it is an error!

You'd think that would promote an awful lot of verdigris...or rust on steelies
    "And he will tell you, skill is late — A Mightier than He —
    Has ministered before Him — There's no Vitality."

12. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that if they do away with cents in the future, I'm not in favor of rounding up like the government suggest. I say make a coin the same size and copper plated. Then call it a three cent piece! No need to round because every two makes an even amount. This would be cost efficient for the mint and not allow the government to get those extra cents by rounding up.

14. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Frank, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by enamel7 View Post
    I believe that if they do away with cents in the future, I'm not in favor of rounding up like the government suggest. I say make a coin the same size and copper plated. Then call it a three cent piece! No need to round because every two makes an even amount. This would be cost efficient for the mint and not allow the government to get those extra cents by rounding up.

I love this idea!
    "And he will tell you, skill is late — A Mightier than He —
    Has ministered before Him — There's no Vitality."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by enamel7 View Post
    I guess I'm not understanding you.....how would you deal with 2 or 4 cents without rounding ?

17. Likes onecent1909 liked this post