Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Thank you enamel, now that you mention it, the bottle says 100% pure acetone, but the ingredients says: Acetone, Denatonium Benzoate. Wonder what that second thing is. Seems like false labeling to me.
    I believe that's to keep people and/or pets from ingesting it. From Wiki:

"...Denatonium, usually available as denatonium benzoate (under trade names such as BITTERANT-b, BITTER+PLUS, Bitrex or Aversion) and as denatonium saccharide (under trade names such as BITTERANT-s), is the most bitter chemical compound known, with bitterness thresholds of 0.05 ppm for the benzoate and 0.01 ppm for the saccharide.[2] It was discovered in 1958 during research on local anesthetics by MacFarlan Smith of Edinburgh, Scotland, and registered under the trademark Bitrex.[3] Dilutions of as little as 10 ppm are unbearably bitter to most humans. Denatonium salts are usually colorless and odorless solids but are often traded as solutions. They are used as aversive agents (bitterants) to prevent inappropriate ingestion. Denatonium is used in denatured alcohol,[4] antifreeze, nail biting preventions, respirator mask fit-testing, animal repellents, liquid soaps, and shampoos. It is not known to pose any long-term health risks.."
    "And he will tell you, skill is late — A Mightier than He —
    Has ministered before Him — There's no Vitality."

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Frank, we are posting to this thread at the same time. Please look back to the previous post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Thank you Frank, we are posting to this thread at the same time. Please look back to the previous post.
    Hehehe! Yeppers!

Now we know!

5. Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Hehehe! Yeppers!

Now we know!
    I'm not sure really if rinsing in distilled water is another step I want to take. Haven't had any problems so far and I have looked back at my finds from 2013 and they look okay to me. When I take the coin out of the acetone, I blot it with an old t shirt so the acetone doesn't really have time to dry on there. Then they go to a Mineral Oil soak for a few minutes and get blotted again. I am really concerned about preserving my Lincoln's so I hope I'm doing it right!
    Last edited by VAB2013; 02-10-2017 at 07:32 PM.

7. Likes Frank liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been rinsing them off with just tap water, then patting good and dry with a shirt too lol!

So far, it looks like it's working fine!

9. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    After the acetone bath I do rinse my coins... I have a reverse osmosis water filter system (Mainly for my birds) and I use water from there then dab 'em dry!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

11. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Frank liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is hydrogen peroxide good for anything other than dug coins? They will be "details" anyway because of the pitting, verdi and dirt. But HP does help make them readable and much more presentable (than seeing the dirt encrustation). Thanks for any insight.

13. Likes Frank, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up a can of "Goof-Off" (100% Xylene) at Walmart for about $3.50 and gave it a trial. It helped a little, but I'm not convinced that it helps that much, yet. Does anybody have any ideas on proper usage of Xylene to dip copper Lincolns and silver Roosevelts?

15. Likes Frank, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by silver1985 View Post
    I picked up a can of "Goof-Off" (100% Xylene) at Walmart for about $3.50 and gave it a trial. It helped a little, but I'm not convinced that it helps that much, yet. Does anybody have any ideas on proper usage of Xylene to dip copper Lincolns and silver Roosevelts?
    Guys there are two posts above this one that need answers.
    So that is what Xylene is! I am familiar with Goof Off and it does stink. My Maint Tech used it to remove paint from cabinet doors and he almost passed out. I got woozy just walking in the kitchen to check on things and had to get him to walk outside!
    Last edited by VAB2013; 02-11-2017 at 09:08 AM.