Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    My new setup is pretty simple and inexpensive. 10mp Kodak camera from best buy for $140, tripod $8, Loupe found at Hobby Lobby for $5. Pictures vary in different lighting settings. I am still playing with it to achieve the best pictures. The pictures I took of the setup are taken with a camera phone since I had the camera on the tripod.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jhracing08

2. Thanks rarecollectibles thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am looking for a new coin set up for taking close up pics. I would like to do it with one instrument instead of using both camera and scope combined if possible. My budget is around $300. Does anyone use an AmScope? I am looking at one, model SE305R-PX-P. If anyone does use one what is your opinion of it? No matter how hard I try the shutter speeds, ISO etc. just makes no sense to me. So a camera with complicating settings won't work. The computer I'm pretty good with so connection to it would be really great. I have saved all of my doubled dies and mm's from the last couple of years and I have a bunch to take pics of and pretty sure I have some new finds. But I gotta get a set up that is not so complicated.
    Everyones suggestions in here are really good, just wish I were more "photo smart".
    Thanks everyone.
    Cindy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdiddle View Post
    I am looking for a new coin set up for taking close up pics. I would like to do it with one instrument instead of using both camera and scope combined if possible. My budget is around $300. Does anyone use an AmScope? I am looking at one, model SE305R-PX-P. If anyone does use one what is your opinion of it? No matter how hard I try the shutter speeds, ISO etc. just makes no sense to me. So a camera with complicating settings won't work. The computer I'm pretty good with so connection to it would be really great. I have saved all of my doubled dies and mm's from the last couple of years and I have a bunch to take pics of and pretty sure I have some new finds. But I gotta get a set up that is not so complicated.
    Everyones suggestions in here are really good, just wish I were more "photo smart".
    Thanks everyone.
    It's an old camera, but I love my Canon SD700IS. You can sometimes find them on ebay for $100-150. The trick to this camera is you can optical zoom upto 4x in macro mode, there's no need for using a magnifer or a scope.....at least it's good enough for me.

VERDI-CARE™ ALL METAL CONSERVATION FLUID

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks BadThad, excellent close ups!
    Cindy

Post Thanks / Like
    Look for one of these used. I bought a newer SD880IS and I don't like it as much as my old SD700IS. It doesn't allow you to use optical zoom while in macro mode....dumb. Beware models that lock out optical zoom in macro mode!!!
    VERDI-CARE™ ALL METAL CONSERVATION FLUID

georoxx
    I use an AmScope with a Fuji. (Standard, no frills camera. I do believe it's around $300. Let me know if you are interested enough to want the model number, but I think Fuji already has a newer model on the market.)

Like Thad, my camera will not allow optical zoom in macro mode, but if using the AmScope, there's no need for it. I just hold the camera up to the lens of the AmScope. I don't use an adapter, or anything. Just point and shoot. I do select the 2 second timer option... It helps me to hold her steady because, if I don't, depressing the shutter and trying to hold the camera steady at the same time causes a slight movement of the camera... and ANY movement will result in blurry pics..

-George
    Last edited by georoxx; 12-18-2010 at 05:26 PM.

KnipeDrums

Camera

I currently have a Fuji HS10 and a Canon HF100, I tried to get the Fuji to take a good coin photo but I am still fiddling with the settings. I purchased a Digimicro usb microscope 2mp 200x on ebay because I wanted to try it for coins, if it doesnt do well I will take it to work and use it for something else. It did well for an overall photo but I am a little disappointed that it can get the overall toning of the coin. Makes everything look lighter and whiter then it really is, most likely due to the onbard L.E.D.'s. I am going to change the lighting set up and see if I can get a few that result in good color. Here are a few i took quickly just to have some samples. T

towards2112
    No love for the flat bed scanner ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by towards2112 View Post
    No love for the flat bed scanner ?
    One of the major hurdles with coin photography be it whole coin or close details is the lighting. A flat bed scanner allows for no fine tuning of your lighting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jhracing08 View Post
    My new setup is pretty simple and inexpensive. 10mp Kodak camera from best buy for $140, tripod $8, Loupe found at Hobby Lobby for $5. Pictures vary in different lighting settings. I am still playing with it to achieve the best pictures. The pictures I took of the setup are taken with a camera phone since I had the camera on the tripod.
    What are you using for lighting on your setup? Did you need to adjust the contrast, color or brightness to get the pics that you posted?