Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice pick... Hope it is as stated... Keep us updated!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roller View Post
    but the letters "AM" themselves are somewhat questionable. (Just my 2 cents.)
    George, can you educate us a little ? I have no idea what is different about the "AM" on the RDV-005 and 006. I could use some help, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineman750 View Post
    George, can you educate us a little ? I have no idea what is different about the "AM" on the RDV-005 and 006. I could use some help, thanks.
    LOL Roger, I think you re baiting me. Looking at my post I agree "themselves" is a bad choice of words for what I meant to say. I meant the distance between them. I know of no difference between the actual letters on 005 and 006.

4. Likes Maineman750 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roller View Post
    LOL Roger, I think you re baiting me. Looking at my post I agree "themselves" is a bad choice of words for what I meant to say. I meant the distance between them. I know of no difference between the actual letters on 005 and 006.
    Nope...I just thought I was out of the loop...especially since nobody else even batted an eye...but you're saying the distance between them is different ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what we all know as a rev06 they call wide AM. I have absolutely no idea why. Maybe it's a generic term for transional dies. That's just a guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually called a buddy of mine and asked him. There's a difference in the AM of America. He said they are 06 is flat shelf like and 05 Is much more rounded . They are both wide am. So I checked mine sure enough he is right. It's more then just the FG. The Lettering is different. Check it out

8. Thanks Frank thanked for this post
    Likes Maineman750, Frank liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Amosamos16....I thought I remembered something like that, but when I looked at coops comparison pics I really couldn't tell
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes it's easier to see the tops of the AM than it is the FG, but then.... if you can't tell by the FG for sure, what's the use? Still not found one myself. But since the FG details are not very visible on many that I look at, I use the square or rounded tops of the AM to decide to toss it.

This enlarged photo of coop's has helped me see the difference of the AM better
    http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49/I...OOP_HOR_01.jpg
    Last edited by VAB2013; 04-05-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to chime in, but I feel it important to add something here. The problem with using such diagnostics is that the appearance of (particularly) these peripheral devices can vary quite dramatically depending on striking pressure, the state of the die's deterioration, and especially the extent to which the field of the die was polished before the die was even put into service! It is very difficult to depend on such diagnostics until you are able to look at a coin and immediately say things like, "This coin was weakly struck by an EDS die that was overpolished," or "this coin was well struck by an LDS die with no over-polishing," etc.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

12. Thanks Maineman750, Petespockets55, VAB2013, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, jfines69, WaterSport liked this post
    Wrong Design Die Expert onecent1909's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    got the coin in hand.....
    I do not think it is a reverse of 89(WIDE AM)
    I think PCGS went to fast, I think the G toke a hit on the bottom right edge, where the vertical bar goes down making look like that vertical bar did go down

I have pics of
    a certified 88 P rev 89
    a raw 88 D rev 89 (has environmental damage)
    close up of FG from this coin
    same pic of this coin with an outline of the G
    same pic of this coin with would I think happened

Attached Images Attached Images
    Member: Florida State representative for the ANA, Florida state representative for CONECA, F.U.N. and the Ocala Coin Club