Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_parkhurst View Post
    Hmm, even the +2/3 is not as bright as the earlier P-mode shot. I suspect P-mode was causing the exposure problem. But you should never run +EV. the camera will always push highlights to saturation, and using +EV values will just make things worse. Even on the -1/3EV there are a few blown-out pixels, but not many so I think -1/3 is the correct setting. The -1/3 could benefit from some levels adjustment, but let's deal with image size first...

It's hard to tell from the final image what kind of processing you've done. Can you post the un-cropped image? What I'd like to see is how much of the frame you're using, ie how big is the coin in the frame. The odd final image sizes are a bit disconcerting to me. It's always best to let programs do as little "auto" as possible, since that creates inconsistencies. I also think your final images are a little large for web publishing. So the flow I'd recommend would be:

Adjust magnification to fill 90% of the sensor frame with the coin. This will make the coin 2700x2700 pixels on your 4000x3000 sensor. Shoot the coin.
    Crop the image to 3000x3000
    Downsize the image 4x to 750x750. This will make the coin 675x675 pixels within the 750x750 frame
    Adjust levels, sharpness, saturation, etc

I can help you with the final post-processing after you publish the image at the final size.

Jason's suggestion is a good one, and can help inform you as to the best way to light the shot. What I'm trying to get to is a photographically standard final image and workflow to get there every time. After you know how to do that, you can work to improve the lighting (angles, diffusion, etc) to give the desired effect.
    Fishing today but I'll give it a try tonight. When you say uncropped, does that mean I can still resize so it will load on the forum ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineman750 View Post
    Fishing today but I'll give it a try tonight. When you say uncropped, does that mean I can still resize so it will load on the forum ?
    I'm actually not sure. I use photobucket to host images so don't know the forum limitations. For now, let's ignore the "uncropped" part and just go with the workflow I suggested: crop to 3000x3000, then downsize to 750x750 such that it can load on the forum. Then we'll work with that final image. Maybe email me the full size image and I'll host both for comparison.
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

Post Thanks / Like
    OK..but cropping with paint.net isn't that exact...or I just don't know how, but I did send the original image to you Ray. All setting were as mentioned above with -1/3 EV
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I recommend doing your cropping in DPP. You can enter the exact dimensions you want.

I took your original and cropped it to 2400x2400, then downsized it to 800x800, adjusted sharpness and levels. Here is the result:

I did the same edits to your posted image. Here are the results:

Here are the histogram settings for the first image. The settings for second image are similar.

[/URL]
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

6. Thanks Maineman750 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I have to learn how to use DPP and how to set up my lighting....the luster of my coin is really missing but I can't expect you to know that without seeing it...but my shot with + 1/3 EV is closest to capturing it. Another day of fishing for me today so I'll give it a try on Friday....thanks again, Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray
    I saved your first image to check the size of the file.
    The image that downloaded onto my computer by using the "copy file" command has a 628KB capacity.
    I don't understand how you were able to get this file to upload onto LCF, since ithe website has a limitation of about 300KB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by silver1985 View Post
    Ray
    I saved your first image to check the size of the file.
    The image that downloaded onto my computer by using the "copy file" command has a 628KB capacity.
    I don't understand how you were able to get this file to upload onto LCF, since ithe website has a limitation of about 300KB.
    These images are hosted by photobucket and then embedded in the post using IMG commands.