Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Trail Dies feedback/questions thread

I wanted to start a specific thread for feedback, discussion, and questions regarding my trail dies article. I would appreciate any feedback from those who have read it, and I also welcome any discussion or questions. I also have more of Ray's photos that I could post with his permission, which were cut from the article due to space constraints.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    I wanted to start a specific thread for feedback, discussion, and questions regarding my trail dies article. I would appreciate any feedback from those who have read it, and I also welcome any discussion or questions. I also have more of Ray's photos that I could post with his permission, which were cut from the article due to space constraints.
    Will...feel free to post any of the photos, including the animations which could not be print published...Ray
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

3. Thanks VAB2013, jallengomez, willbrooks, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, jallengomez, jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I my friend think you hit the nail on the head! Wonderful article and proud of you! You represent us well.

5. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will, many of us are not subscribers to Coin World magazine so we are not able to read your Trail Die article. Can you give us a few tid bits? Or even better, we want to know ALL about it with photos and the whole nine yards!!!

7. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Viv, Click on the link - I had no problem opening up the whole weekly magazine even with my slowww internet connection.
    Die deterioration and the mint cleaning up problems with the die makes good sense. Nicely written and got to the point quickly. Well done.

9. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaxtellcoin View Post
    Die deterioration and the mint cleaning up problems with the die makes good sense.
    The polishing I am talking about in the article in relation to trails generally takes place as the die is prepared for service, before it strikes any coins. However, die deterioration could certainly exacerbate the effect.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

11. Thanks Maineman750, jfines69, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It has been awhile since I have been on any forum, but I do think that some questions posted in this thread have been answered.

1. I have talked to Chris Pilliod (Fly-in-club president), who in turned has talked to some of the higher ups at the the U. S. Mint. The mint employees indicated that they do not know the cause, nor how to stop it. Remember, this type of die variation has been around for well over 150 years! And not only on U. S. coins. I might add that I have also talked to the U. S. Mint about this anomaly and they seem little concerned to what the cause was or how to correct it.

2. Die deterioration cannot be the cause; too many early die state coins have been found with trail dies. However, trail lines can be the cause of early die deterioration. This has been seen in some examples where die deterioration is seen as parallel lines from the words IN GOD WE TRUST on Lincoln cents.

3. Die polishing - if trail lines were only seen on working dies, there may be a slim chance that this is the cause. However, we have seen them on working hubs and master dies as well. We also have seen them on proof working dies, which are treated a bit different than business working dies. I would also think that if die polishing were the cause, that some changes in the structure of the trail lines would be seen over the 150 year old span. We would also have to explain what element in the polishing machine is able to cut precise lines into a steel die and only from points within the elements on the die (hub) itself. And, can we explain that all die polishing techniques are the same in the countries that have produced trail dies?

4. My only hang-up at this point in time is with 3 or more sets of directional trail lines. I cannot explain how that can happen and I do still ponder if it is created by hubbing or some other cause.

While trail dies are still on my mind, I do have much more important matters of concern to deal with at the present. Hopefully, I'll be back in full swing one day.

Robert (BJ) Neff
    ANA, CCC, CONECA, FUN, Fly-In-Club, NLG & "The Error-Variety Education Consortium"

13. Thanks VAB2013, Petespockets55, JC Stevens, Frank thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Petespockets55, Frank liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see you chime in BJ... Hope every thing goes good for you... I need to absorb this some more... Very interesting addition of information to the mix!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

15. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need to get as much feed back as is possible... It is always good to hear others thoughts wether we agree or not!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

17. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Traveling this week and while it might be pipe dreaming I'm hopeful to find a cooy of Coin World either at the airport or the coin shop in the little Iowa town I'll be visiting.

19. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Likes willbrooks, VAB2013 liked this post