Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Trail Dies feedback/questions thread

I wanted to start a specific thread for feedback, discussion, and questions regarding my trail dies article. I would appreciate any feedback from those who have read it, and I also welcome any discussion or questions. I also have more of Ray's photos that I could post with his permission, which were cut from the article due to space constraints.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    I wanted to start a specific thread for feedback, discussion, and questions regarding my trail dies article. I would appreciate any feedback from those who have read it, and I also welcome any discussion or questions. I also have more of Ray's photos that I could post with his permission, which were cut from the article due to space constraints.
    Will...feel free to post any of the photos, including the animations which could not be print published...Ray
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

3. Thanks VAB2013, jallengomez, willbrooks, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, jallengomez, jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I my friend think you hit the nail on the head! Wonderful article and proud of you! You represent us well.

5. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will, many of us are not subscribers to Coin World magazine so we are not able to read your Trail Die article. Can you give us a few tid bits? Or even better, we want to know ALL about it with photos and the whole nine yards!!!

7. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Viv, Click on the link - I had no problem opening up the whole weekly magazine even with my slowww internet connection.
    Die deterioration and the mint cleaning up problems with the die makes good sense. Nicely written and got to the point quickly. Well done.

9. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need to get as much feed back as is possible... It is always good to hear others thoughts wether we agree or not!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

11. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaxtellcoin View Post
    Die deterioration and the mint cleaning up problems with the die makes good sense.
    The polishing I am talking about in the article in relation to trails generally takes place as the die is prepared for service, before it strikes any coins. However, die deterioration could certainly exacerbate the effect.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

13. Thanks Maineman750, jfines69, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Traveling this week and while it might be pipe dreaming I'm hopeful to find a cooy of Coin World either at the airport or the coin shop in the little Iowa town I'll be visiting.

15. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Likes willbrooks, VAB2013 liked this post
    Paid Member, Error Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found the article rather persuasive. I do have some questions, though. On any particular coin, trails usually point in one direction (sometimes two). One would think that a buffing wheel would change position during use. Do you see the consistent directionality as indicating that the buffing wheel is mounted in a stable holder and then lowered onto the die face by operating a wheel or joystick?

17. Thanks jfines69, Maineman750, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69, VAB2013, Frank liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikediamond View Post
    I found the article rather persuasive. I do have some questions, though. On any particular coin, trails usually point in one direction (sometimes two). One would think that a buffing wheel would change position during use. Do you see the consistent directionality as indicating that the buffing wheel is mounted in a stable holder and then lowered onto the die face by operating a wheel or joystick?
    Would it be possible to get this information from the mint??? Would be interesting to know if it was or is still performed by hand or machine!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

19. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post