Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justafarmer View Post

So the above image illustrates how the die was most likely held relative to the buffing wheel during polishing. Assuming the polishing wheel rotates upwards. When the bristles of the buffing wheel enters the recesses of the design they relax some causing the "walls" of the design device to funnel the bristles towards the upward design corners producing extreme abrasion?

If the polishing wheel rotates downward of course it would be the opposite?
    Normally the wheel rotates down ward... This allows any debris to be flung away from the user, same as a grinding wheel... The user can rotate the die in any direction needed and that would cause the direction of the trails to change between the abrading processes!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

2. Thanks Maineman750, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jallengomez View Post
    When we think of rotary tools, we often think of buffing pad type implements that would polish the die in a circular motion, but as the photo Will points to illustrates, there are rotary polishing tools used which cross the die face in a single direction. Here's a link to the larger image.
    http://www.coinnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Philadelphia-Mint-Buffer-Polisher-Tom-Larizzio-Circulated-Die-Finish.jpg
    FWIW (For Whatever It's Worth)- Alcohol might be the cleaning/cooling agent while polishing. (As alcohol is mentioned in the sign facing the operator.)

Very astute observations and thought process Will.
    When sanding ornate wood designs by hand care must be taken around the concave/incuse details to prevent uneven and irregular
    gouges to the surface from appearing. A sanding block minimizes the "reach" of the abrasives by spanning over the incuse areas.

4. Thanks willbrooks, jallengomez, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes willbrooks, jallengomez, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see the same thing that Jim sees.....looks like a wire wheel......but it would be easy enough to put a buffing wheel on that motor too

6. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineman750 View Post
    I see the same thing that Jim sees.....looks like a wire wheel......but it would be easy enough to put a buffing wheel on that motor too
    It don't think it matters if a soft buff or bristle wheel is used. Both would be be able get into the relief and create trails. I do not know which is used in what circumstances and I do not know which (or even if both) are used to finish business strike Lincoln cent dies. Either one could create trails.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

8. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Normally the wheel rotates down ward... This allows any debris to be flung away from the user, same as a grinding wheel... The user can rotate the die in any direction needed and that would cause the direction of the trails to change between the abrading processes!!!
    Then this trail die was more than likely held in the following position in relation to the buffing wheel?
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Maineman750, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    It don't think it matters if a soft buff or bristle wheel is used. Both would be be able get into the relief and create trails. I do not know which is used in what circumstances and I do not know which (or even if both) are used to finish business strike Lincoln cent dies. Either one could create trails.
    Maybe you can ask the guy ? Typically a wire wheel is used to remove deeper scratches, then a buffing wheel for polishing...there are also a series of buffing wheels/rouges which produce a progressively smoother finish. I believe it might be harder to create trails with a wire wheel simply because it would require pretty heavy pressure by the operator, not so much with a buffing wheel.

12. Thanks willbrooks, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you can ask the guy ? Typically a wire wheel is used to remove deeper scratches, then a buffing wheel for polishing...there are also a series of buffing wheels/rouges which produce a progressively smoother finish. I believe it might be harder to create trails with a wire wheel simply because it would require pretty heavy pressure by the operator, not so much with a buffing wheel.
    That makes sense, Roger. Thanks.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

14. Likes Maineman750, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justafarmer View Post
    Then this trail die was more than likely held in the following position in relation to the buffing wheel?
    That does appear to be the correct orientation!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

16. Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget that the wire wheels just like the cloth style have assorted sized wire, any thing from .001 used for fine metal polishing to heavy gauge wire that could strip cladding off a battle ship in 1 revolution!!!
    Jim

18. Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most machine shops will have dedicated machines for the different types of buffing required depending of course on the expected work flow requirements... Saves lots of time which in tern saves lots of money!!!
    Jim

20. Likes VAB2013 liked this post