Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1922

njcollector

Cool 1922

Hello Gang,
    I'm new to this forum but not new to coin collecting. I've been collecting for many years and can be ladled a true Collectaholic (new word). I'm currently conducting a study on the 1922 Lincoln cent. In my research I have found out that the 1922 cents have 20 obverse dies and 27 reverse dies. I'd like to ask if anyone could lead me to a resource that could identify the different dies of this series. I know all about the 1922 no D strong and weak reverses. The other dies seem to not have any information or studies done on them.

I would appreciate any help or information all you Lincoln guys can convey. Thanks...........Mike

2. Thanks VAB2013, Lunstedt thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome NJ Mike and sounds like an interesting study you have started.
    You will find some numismatic stalwarts here to help answer your questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the LCF... You will fit in with the rest of us Lincolnaholics You can try a couple of different sites such as Variety Vista (VV) http://varietyvista.com/ or Wexlers http://doubleddie.com/ Not sure if they have any of the info you are looking for on site but you can send them an email to find out... There are also quite a few folks on here that have done die studies, mustbebob, willbrooks and mikediamond just to name a few... Hope that helps a little!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

njcollector
    Thanks for the info...............I'll give them a try.
    NJ Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Mike,

Never seen a study on them.
    There are some other known dies you can probably find pics of online.
    There is a well known cracked reverse die. There is also an obverse die that people once called "broken D" which is probably not from a broken punch but that's what they called it. I think there is also "goiter" neck obv die.

7. Thanks jfines69, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69, VAB2013, Lunstedt liked this post
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike. Welcome to the Forum. I am not aware of any publicized studies of the 1922 dies other than the ones we all are aware about (No D, Weak D etc.) We do know that there were only supposed to be 1922D cents struck this year to the tune of 7.1 million. I think the fact you were able to ascertain the exact amounts of obverse and reverse dies is more than most people would of done. It seems the only dies of any importance are the three pair of extremely worn ones. Of course you know that die pair #2 is known as the 'strong reverse' and is the one responsible for the 'no D' while the others struck weak D cents.
    If I can find any other info that may help you in this endeavor, I will let you know. You might be the perfect candidate to do a study on the other dies. May I ask why you want this info? Thinking there may be another die with something going on?
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

9. Thanks jfines69, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes willbrooks, jfines69, VAB2013, Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool... 2 of the pros have chimed in... Thanks Bob and Ed!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

11. Thanks mustbebob thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard Jersey Mike! That's an interesting study you are doing! Thank you for sharing your information and findings here on the forum!!!

13. Likes Lunstedt liked this post
    njcollector
    Hello..........Thanks for the info. I'm conducting this study on the 1922 cent because I find that year very interesting. There was only three denominations made in that year.....the cent, silver dollar, and the twenty dollar gold piece. In the past I assembled every die variety on the only denomination our mint made for a particular year. There were nine verities and it is a US cent. Can you coin heads guess the year? Any way I find this to be fun and with EBay it's like a coin show every day.
    Again thanks.....Mike

15. Thanks dogparkdays, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by njcollector View Post
    Hello..........Thanks for the info. I'm conducting this study on the 1922 cent because I find that year very interesting. There was only three denominations made in that year.....the cent, silver dollar, and the twenty dollar gold piece. In the past I assembled every die variety on the only denomination our mint made for a particular year. There were nine verities and it is a US cent. Can you coin heads guess the year? Any way I find this to be fun and with EBay it's like a coin show every day. Again thanks.....Mike
    No idea which year had only nine varieties... If it were only nine verities I would gues no year
    Jim

17. Likes Lunstedt liked this post