Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Reducing glare on shiny coins.

Taking images of shiny coins is difficult at best. There is a member of another forum I visit that posted a fairly simple solution years ago and I just revisited that thread and thought I would share it. It may not work as well with a scope because of how close you need to be to the coin surface.
    Here is the link http://coinauctionshelp.com/forum/vi...p?f=80&t=12027 .
    Hope others find this helpful, Cliff

2. Thanks Maineman750, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes TJ1952, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have discussed this topic exhaustively on this forum. I take all my shots, shiny or not, (except extreme close ups through the microscope) using the indirect lighting with pane of glass at 45 degree angle to light source.

4. Thanks Petespockets55, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bringing the topic up again always helps....especially the newbies.....I moved this to our photography sub forum, thanks !

6. Thanks Petespockets55, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember those discussions... Even discussed the type of glass to use... I have yet to try that method... I normally go with indirect lighting... I have a piece of printer paper attached to my camera lens in a box shape and reflect the light off of that... Some times I need to shine directly onto the coin but not often!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

8. Thanks Petespockets55, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of folks swear by axial lighting, and I've dabbled with it a few times as well. It's good for raw coins, but slabbed coins tend to show glare from the slab reflections. I always come back to my "smile directors", which place the light source just outside the radius of the coin, but are very narrow so they approximate the axial effect.

edited to add:

Do a search for "smile directors coin photography" for relevant posts and instructions on how to make and use them
    Last edited by ray_parkhurst; 08-10-2017 at 09:16 PM.
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

10. Thanks Petespockets55, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Taking images of shiny coins is difficult at best. There is a member of another forum I visit that posted a fairly simple solution years ago and I just revisited that thread and thought I would share it. It may not work as well with a scope because of how close you need to be to the coin surface.
    Here is the link http://coinauctionshelp.com/forum/vi...p?f=80&t=12027 .
    Hope others find this helpful, Cliff
    You could always use vinegar and sand paper to dull the coin
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

12. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't believe there is anything on this entire forum that hasn't been discussed more then once. You could probably spend a lifetime/career on any one of them. The problem I have is searching and finding the answers to the subject/questions I'm interested in before starting a new thread. Not blaming anyone, I'm sure it's operator error on my end. I don't mind seeing or hearing the same questions over and over again, I just take what I need and move on. Thanks for the link Cliff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    You could always use vinegar and sand paper to dull the coin
    Jim. Thanks for the chuckle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ1952 View Post
    I don't believe there is anything on this entire forum that hasn't been discussed more then once. You could probably spend a lifetime/career on any one of them. The problem I have is searching and finding the answers to the subject/questions I'm interested in before starting a new thread. Not blaming anyone, I'm sure it's operator error on my end. I don't mind seeing or hearing the same questions over and over again, I just take what I need and move on. Thanks for the link Cliff!
    Glad to be of help and thanks for the encouragement TJ even though others might have to suffer more of the same because of it.
    I don't take anything the wrong way and hopefully I don't rub anyone the wrong way either. I am a "hardcore newbie novice" that has learned a lot here and likes to contribute with newbie questions and comments because most newbies
    are reluctant.
    I always felt communication for me was a weak point in high school because my interest was math and biology. (After all, most teenagers study biology poolside or as it walks down the halls.) I learned more English taking a French class, even though my punctuation and sentence structure still is weak at best.
    So ..... to make a short story endless, Thanks again! Cliff

16. Thanks TJ1952 thanked for this post
    Likes TJ1952 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Glad to be of help and thanks for the encouragement TJ even though others might have to suffer more of the same because of it.
    I don't take anything the wrong way and hopefully I don't rub anyone the wrong way either. I am a "hardcore newbie novice" that has learned a lot here and likes to contribute with newbie questions and comments because most newbies
    are reluctant.
    I always felt communication for me was a weak point in high school because my interest was math and biology. (After all, most teenagers study biology poolside or as it walks down the halls.) I learned more English taking a French class, even though my punctuation and sentence structure still is weak at best.
    So ..... to make a short story endless, Thanks again! Cliff
    On some folks if you rub them the correct way a genie pops out
    Jim

18. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post