Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holding tight; put up the last of protection on the house today. It's beginning to look like the storm will travel closer to the western part of Florida but we will get plenty of wind (probably cat 3) and rain in Miami anyway. Not to mention that we would be on the "dirty" side of the storm and more likely to experience tornadoes. If it hits us head on, well.... Hey, you do the best you can and hope for the best. Right now I'm nursing my aching body form todays work with two fingers (vertical) of eggnog. Good luck to us all.

2. Thanks VAB2013, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the update Roller. Please keep us posted. Can't beat eggnog for treating many ailments, I'm sure you are worn out! Hoping things are not too bad there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all. From all of us here thanks for the good wishes.
    Slight shift to the west is better news for us on the east coast of Florida and not so good for the center and western coast. All day yesterday just trying to help as many as possible protect their homes ( customers, neighbors, relatives and friends of relatives).
    Now comes the time to protect my copper in watertight bins just in case Irma wobbles again. I know... I know... "only now" you ask?
    As of now East coast Florida is predicted to only be in the tolerable cat 2 range. Big apprehensive sigh of relief here but still very concerned for our friends to the west.

As devastating as this will be to some there will be positives coming from this experience we won't realize until years down the road.
    For our friends up north I'm thinking of it as a liquid ice storm without the cold!!

5. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Cliff for the update! I guess I have no business looking at a radar because I don't know enough about storms and it just freaks me out! This storm looks like it is larger than the state of Florida!

7. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sunny and some wind here in my little neck of the woods... More nogg will make the time pass quicker or at least you won't care as much
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

9. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know things are okay in your area Jim! So Irma is on track to Naples, then Tampa? Are the predictions that it will run along the west coast of Florida still what's happening?

Post Thanks / Like
    That is what the fore cast is for now... As they say - Hind sight is 20/20
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

12. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sun.- 9:25 am update- Intermittent rain and wind, wind and rain.
    I have a trick I use to know the position of the center of the storm to help know when the worst has passed (It can be hard to tell unless the eye passes overhead). I put my back facing the wind (or the sound of it) and when I stick my left arm straight out, it will point at the eye of the beast. This also works well in prepping for a storm when helping others with limited plywood to know which direction or openings will get the strongest winds.
    Haven't lost power yet but I do expect to.
    Got my copper and silver babies tucked into some airtight bins to minimize humidity. Freezer filled with bottles of ice, a generator ready to go (will run it outside of course), and Little Debbie oatmeal sandwich cookies for comfort!!!

14. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    I have a trick I use to know the position of the center of the storm to help know when the worst has passed (It can be hard to tell unless the eye passes overhead). I put my back facing the wind (or the sound of it) and when I stick my left arm straight out, it will point at the eye of the beast. This also works well in prepping for a storm when helping others with limited plywood to know which direction or openings will get the strongest winds.
    Got my copper and silver babies tucked into some airtight bins to minimize humidity. Freezer filled with bottles of ice, a generator ready to go (will run it outside of course), and Little Debbie oatmeal sandwich cookies for comfort!!!
    Cliff, please don't go outside and try this even though the eye of the storm is not coming close to you! Stay inside and enjoy a Little Debbie Oatmeal cookie! I just saw on the news telling people in the Keys to stay indoors and don't let the eye of the storm fool ya! Glad you have made preparations, sounds like you have done a good job!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Glad to hear you are doing well Cliff!! All you folks be careful not to put yourself in harms way.

17. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post