Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Checking in from Houston

Hi LCF Friends -
    I haven't been on in some time. We're in Houston and things are day to day here after Harvey. Very grateful that we're dry and I'm still able to work/earn. Our city will be in recovery mode for a long time to come. When you see the news for Houston know that things are not over. We have 2 massive reservoirs releaseing 13,000 cfs into Buffalo Bayou (path to the gulf). Normal release is 4000 by exception and 2000 by normal operation. This will continue until the 20th - or longer if we get more rain. Homes flooded that were allowed to be built within/behind the reservoirs. Homes along Buffalo Bayou will be under water for the remaining time until the releases stop. Reservoirs were built in the 40's - not supposed to a) hold water b) release at these rates. Operated by Army Core of Engineers.
    Our home is dry, but too close to Buffalo Bayou for comfort so I'm watching things through out the day.
    Looking for Will as I have some questions he may be able to help me with. 4 of the sewage treatment plants in our area are failed.
    Link to webcams of the reservoirs releasing:
    https://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08072500
    https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=08073000

Prayers to those in the path of Irma.

Jill

2. Thanks uglycent thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear you haven't been washed away... Be careful and take care!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear things are moving in the right direction for you and hope they continue to do so.

Post Thanks / Like
    And hang on Florida, Prayer are with you all. That is why I like Washington (The State) except for the periodic earthquakes and volcanoes.
    Even a fool can look wise if he keeps his mouth closed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks we'll hang in there. (Easy to say this side of the storm)
    Irma seems to be zeroing in on Roller's location. Stay safe George.
    Quote Originally Posted by uglycent View Post
    And hang on Florida, Prayer are with you all. That is why I like Washington (The State) except for the periodic earthquakes and volcanoes.

The trade off for an occasional weather anomaly is Sunshine, which is essential and critical for my sanity.