Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    muds

new to the Lincoln

started last year and been steaming ahead strong. Lincoln cent is the coin of choice. I came here for advice, knowledge and wisdom for I have none. I take the time to search boxed from the bank and have come across some great looking coins. But the details are what I'm here for.found this and need some help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome

That would be from damage, the 74D was mashed into the 72-D, the image is mirrored and incuse and the rim is damaged.
    You might even see some damage on the rev in that area.

4. Likes koinmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the LCF... Just to add on to Ed - your coin is also out of round... Nice pics for first post!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    Welcome

That would be from damage, the 74D was mashed into the 72-D, the image is mirrored and incuse and the rim is damaged.
    You might even see some damage on the rev in that area.
    Welcome.
    I agree with Ed and Jim. To add to your understanding, mashed can happen intentionally by bored people with a vise, or even a hammer by placing the two coins together. An image of the reverse might tell us the method used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum and nice pics!! You have a ton of knowledgeable folks here that will help you understand all. As a new member myself, I have found there is nothing they cannot explain and explain well to the extreme novice like me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard muds! Nice to have you join us! Just keep on searching, posting coins and asking questions! Folks are always happy to help!

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Garage Job: Also called a squeeze job, vice job, or hammer job, this is intentional post-strike damage when a coin is smashed against another coin or object, usually in an attempt to make it look like a genuine mint error. When squeezed or smashed against another coin, a mirror-image in reverse relief of each coin’s devices will transfer onto the other. Below you can see a mirrored incuse LIBERTY on the coin as the result of being pressed into another cent.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, WaterSport liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard! Like the others said, that's a vise job!

muds
    thank you so much for the replies, love the information everyone thanks again!

13. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're welcome muds! The website that got me hooked on searching Lincoln cents is this simple search engine http://www.coppercoins.com/advsearch.php

When I found that on the web, I realized I could do this! So I put all of my coins in stacks by year and compared them to the examples on coppercoins.com. Just looking at the example photos started imbedding details into my brain, and it helped me start to gain more knowledge day by day! I still refer back to that website every time I'm searching to confirm varieties.

Error coins are more difficult I think because sometimes we see some really strange anomalies that happen to coins after they leave the mint! A great site to study for error coin knowledge is http://www.error-ref.com/

15. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post