Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Magnification !!?????

Recently found a cent, in poor condition, that looked to be a 1943 from a copper planchet! How to be certain?? (It passed the magnet test O.K.) My neighbor works at a federal fish hatchery, and he invited me to come down to the shop and use his dissecting microscope. WOW! What great magnification. Turned out to be a 1945. Rats!

However, although I never seem to find it discussed, I learned a great way to see my coins up close!!! Makes me wonder what other folks are using. Must be lots of secrets out there! Searching on ebay I have found similar devices described as 'stereo microscopes' and other names. What are you guys/gals using?????

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A good scope is nice for examining coins but for searching I prefer a loupe because it goes faster but if something needs a closer look then I use a scope.

My only scope is an old stereo microscope like you might have used in a school science class. Some folks have very nice scopes and camera setups or scopes with cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 30X loupe unless I need a closer look or images... Then I use my camera set up... Camera has a bellows attached and I have a couple of different lenses to use!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I highly recommend a stereo microscope. They are relatively cheap these days. I use a Bausch & Lomb and I can make a recommendation if you are interested.
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

6. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd go with Rays suggestion... His photography skills are second only to JCuve!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    I'd go with Rays suggestion... His photography skills are second only to JCuve!!!
    I'd have to flip a coin on that answer... They are both fantastic photographers!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the photography kudos, but keep in mind the OP is asking about viewing live under magnification, not about photography. The question ends up being whether a stereo microscope, or loupe, or ?? is best way to go. I personally have not used a loupe to view coins at home for nearly 30 years, ever since I got my first stereo microscope. I would lug one around to coin shows if I could, but it's not too practical. Once you use one, you won't go back.
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an example of the type of scope I use. I don't know if this particular one is in good enough shape to buy, but it is certainly a good price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bausch-Lomb-...19.m1438.l2649

12. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_parkhurst View Post
    Here is an example of the type of scope I use. I don't know if this particular one is in good enough shape to buy, but it is certainly a good price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bausch-Lomb-...19.m1438.l2649
    Like the idea of stereo for tired eyes but the magnification seems to be a little on the low side?
    Is the .7 - 3x magnification on this one good enough for subtle differences on varieties?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray is correct... I apologize for getting off track but my comment is still true!!!
    Jim