Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Quin

1958-D Mintmark in Odd Location

This isn't the best picture, but you can definitely see that this coin's mintmark is further to the left than normal and slightly rotated. What is the proper terminology to describe this?

Also, I'm Quin from "Quin's Coins" on YouTube. I'm relatively new to this forum, but I'm liking it so far! Cents are one of my favorite coins to hunt and I'm always learning more about them.
    If you want to see the video where I found the coin, click down below. Thanks for looking (:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaBzAClAisg&
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Quin, nice to see you on the forum! I've enjoyed watching your YouTube channel, it's very fun and informative!

Since Mint marks were punched by hand into the working dies for business strikes through 1989, we have seen some interesting boo boo's. Your coin is pretty extreme! Not sure if there is an exact name... Monday morning hang over maybe?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Quin, in your vid there 1936 Canadian looks like a Dot cent! I need to look that up but I think the 36 with the Dot centered below the date is rare.

Here's some info
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3shOXtgXPEU

Edit... Dang, I took another look at you video and I think it was a stock photo. It's definitely a Dot cent though.
    Last edited by VAB2013; 09-23-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Quin
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Hi Quin, nice to see you on the forum! I've enjoyed watching your YouTube channel, it's very fun and informative!

Since Mint marks were punched by hand into the working dies for business strikes through 1989, we have seen some interesting boo boo's. Your coin is pretty extreme! Not sure if there is an exact name... Monday morning hang over maybe?!
    Haha yup that's what I've read online. So I take it that coins like this come up pretty often? I'm wondering if it would be worth getting graded since it does appear to be more extreme than most examples I've seen. Also, on the note of the '36 Canadian, that was just a stock image from the internet- not my coin!

6. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    Haha yup that's what I've read online. So I take it that coins like this come up pretty often? I'm wondering if it would be worth getting graded since it does appear to be more extreme than most examples I've seen. Also, on the note of the '36 Canadian, that was just a stock image from the internet- not my coin!
    Yeah, that photo of the Canadian got me all hyped! I wouldn't think about slabbing the 58 since crazy Mint mark placement is pretty common. Unless you have a variety or RPM. Even then you would have to weigh the cost of slabbing against the value of the coin. Have fun finding that next IHC! Let us know when you find it!

Here's a great site for searching Varieties and RPM's. https://coppercoins.com/diesearch.ph...smint=d&page=0

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, mint marks are all over the place. I tried once to sell the really crooked one I have and found no takers. Definitely NOT worth having slabbed.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

9. Thanks VAB2013, N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the LCF... I'm with the others!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Quin
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    Yeah, mint marks are all over the place. I tried once to sell the really crooked one I have and found no takers. Definitely NOT worth having slabbed.
    That's good to know, thanks!

12. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is one 58-D that people often notice is rotated because the rotation is pretty big. That one is an RPM.
    I can't tell much from your pic, on yours the MM location looks a bit further west but the pic is angled and small so it might throw me off. You can verify in hand without the angle to verify the position is different or not.

http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=mds

14. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    There is one 58-D that people often notice is rotated because the rotation is pretty big. That one is an RPM.
    I can't tell much from your pic, on yours the MM location looks a bit further west but the pic is angled and small so it might throw me off. You can verify in hand without the angle to verify the position is different or not.

http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=mds
    I see what you are talking about... It very well could be... Hopefully Quin lets us know!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!