Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

In over my head???

Additional Information
    Date: 1952
    Variety: Other
    Mint: Denver

I'm not used to finding a Wheat in this good of a grade, so I think I may have picked it apart a little too much. I have searched DDO's and RPM's and come up empty. Am I trying once again to make something out of nothing? I have not searched listings for breaks yet. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a nice wheat Jon! This one has my attention too! Can you give us a close up of the first T of Trust?

4. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    That is a nice wheat Jon! This one has my attention too! Can you give us a close up of the first T of Trust?
    No go Viv. I checked that DDO earlier if that was what you were looking for CC-003.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    No go Viv. I checked that DDO earlier if that was what you were looking for CC-003.
    Thank you for the pic Jon! Circulation wear could be covering up the spread on that T. I still think the notching on the date looks good. Is that date notching a master die thing? We need a pro's help!

8. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Thank you for the pic Jon! Circulation wear could be covering up the spread on that T. I still think the notching on the date looks good. Is that date notching a master die thing? We need a pro's help!
    It could be normal. I dug around trying to find pics of this date and mint and I think I might have noticed the notching on the 2 being on others. I am of course new to Lincolns in general but am really weak on the Wheats.
    Last edited by makecents; 09-30-2017 at 12:18 PM.

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It could be normal. I dug around trying to find pics of this date and mint and I think I might have noticed the notching on the 2 being on others. I am of course new to Lincolns in general but am really weak on the Wheats.
    Jon, I once saw a thread or maybe it was on another site, that shows photos of all of the master die doubling on cents by year. I have looked all over the place and cannot find it now. One reason I wonder if it's MDD is because Bob does not mention the notching in his attribution notes. We need your help Bob! Thank you in advance!

12. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was indeed Master Die Doubling on 1952 cents. You can see it on the date on P, D and S cents. On Denver minted dies, there was a couple of broken mint mark punches. If you take a look at the listings, they are annotated as such. As far as this example goes, you definitely have the master die doubling on the date. I can't make out anything that makes me believe the mint mark is repunched, and I think the multiple cracks on the head area are indicative of a well worn die. I am afraid there is not much there as far as varieties go.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

14. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mustbebob View Post
    There was indeed Master Die Doubling on 1952 cents. You can see it on the date on P, D and S cents. On Denver minted dies, there was a couple of broken mint mark punches. If you take a look at the listings, they are annotated as such. As far as this example goes, you definitely have the master die doubling on the date. I can't make out anything that makes me believe the mint mark is repunched, and I think the multiple cracks on the head area are indicative of a well worn die. I am afraid there is not much there as far as varieties go.
    Bob, thank you very much for your help! Well Jon, sorry it is not a variety. Thank you for posting this coin, it is the best way we can learn all this stuff!

Jim, do you know where the master die doubling info is? I thought it was a sticky...

16. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mustbebob View Post
    Thanks Bob and Viv!! I think I was overly excited about having a Wheat that I could make things out on. Thanks for the help.

18. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob and Viv!! I think I was overly excited about having a Wheat that I could make things out on. Thanks for the help.
    You are welcome Jon! I completely understand and would have done the exact same thing you did! That is why the LCF is so awesome! We all get to learn together!

20. Thanks makecents thanked for this post