Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a mystery, I don't think a human could get it that close to the raised elements, not sure if it was on the die or something strange that happened to the coin. A mystery to me

2. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing I've noticed that some of us seem to have missed....the lines do go across some of the devices...take a look at S and OF
    And the flat parts of the coin are called "fields".

4. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Really neat looking Jon.
    Wonder if the rollers could do this as they roll the planchet stock to the correct thickness if the plating didn't adhere to the zinc core properly. (Or are the planchets rolled and cut out before the plating process?)

It reminds me of paint on a wall that has gotten water behind it and looks like it is melting down the wall.
    I tend to get ahead of myself when jumping into something new Cliff, as I have with Lincoln cents. I tried to get an understanding of how the zinc cents are made by bopping around on the web last night and this morning. I found finding this information tougher than expected. I assume that there are large sheets of zinc that the blanks are punched out of and then the plating applied after. I also don't know when the actual design is stamped, before or after the plating. All of these things would help me understand more as to how something like this could happen. I hate to be so ignorant but could not find anything to explain this process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineman750 View Post
    Another thing I've noticed that some of us seem to have missed....the lines do go across some of the devices...take a look at S and OF
    And the flat parts of the coin are called "fields".

I noticed but was waiting to see what the consensus was on them.
    Almost all the letters have light lines across them.
    If it was unintentional PSD I don't think it would be strong between the devices (fields) and then weak on top of them.
    If it was intentional, avoiding the tops of all devices would be crucial to complete the "Tomfoolery".

If the lines were on the plating before being struck, the lines might carry through to
    be barely visible on top of the devices. Also if a tool were used to gouge the lines (plowing a field comes to mind) into the coin, the edges of the "furrow" would be slightly raised from being gouged and pushed at the same time.
    (Another thing the cracks and lines looks similar to is old lead based paint that has cracks like an alligator.)
    JMHO
    Link to image
    https://www.alleghenyfront.org/if-le...ill-a-problem/ .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 11-02-2017 at 03:51 AM.

7. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The planchets are plated after they are cut into circles...otherwise the edges wouldn't be plated.

9. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The planchets are plated after they are cut into circles...otherwise the edges wouldn't be plated.
    Thanks Roger. That's what I finally realized but wanted confirmation from a pro.

11. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes Maineman750, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post

If it was intentional, avoiding the tops of all devices would be crucial to complete the "Tomfoolery".

I hear ya, Cliff.....but that would be assuming somebody did this to fool somebody....if they were just playing around for fun, they could do whatever they felt like.
    As for the "furrow" being slightly raised...we would have to have better close ups.....I just scratched a penny with my pen knife while sitting here and cannot see anything raised while using my 20X loupe.....keep in mind that the copper plating is very soft....it took very little pressure to create lines like we see on the OP's coin. I'm not saying my opinion on this is absolute....just a possibility

13. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are correct! Here are a few more pics.

15. Likes Maineman750 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hear ya, Cliff.....but that would be assuming somebody did this to fool somebody....if they were just playing around for fun, they could do whatever they felt like.
    As for the "furrow" being slightly raised...we would have to have better close ups.....I just scratched a penny with my pen knife while sitting here and cannot see anything raised while using my 20X loupe.....keep in mind that the copper plating is very soft....it took very little pressure to create lines like we see on the OP's coin. I'm not saying my opinion on this is absolute....just a possibility
    Thanks. All good points of course.

17. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have the best setup for this or the know how but I took a few more and now I think I'll let him soak for a couple days.